add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Creativity focused build [Lightroom Photoshop and light use of premiere)

tsreenivasan

27 days ago

Hi All,

Reaching out here for my friend who is looking to replace his 10 year old workhorse and I didnt see creativity focused builds featured nor does the forum let me search for most recent posts about lightroom

Looking for some pointers on how important each part will be important for the build

• CPU: Short list the 3700X vs the 9900K, The lack of hyperthreading rules out the 9700k and the $100 price difference between these two cards have had me wondering how important is multithreading for the adobe suite AMDs single core performance is within 15% of Intel's with AMD matching it on Multithread performance Any help on this is appreciated. (Old rig had the 2700k from way back,it lasted him a decade)

• Motherboard and memory will be whatever is supported out of the box. 570x + 32GB 3200 DDR4. Please let me know if i'm not up-to-date on the ram trends. (His old rig has a 16*4 2133 DDR3 which cant be reused in this age)

• Memory: His current workhorse has a neat 1TB SSD raid 1 setup as his boot drive and a 2TB for mass storage. He would be retaining this Will there be any benefit of getting an NVMe here and move boot drive to NVMe?

• GPU: I know for adobe suite, its all about the VRAM, would it make sense to go after the 1070Ti instead of the 2060Super /2070 with the GDDR6 8GB memory?

• Will be retaining the Full tower case + Corsair TX 850W power supply from his work horse

Please share some thoughts and insights on what should we be looking at to pick the right parts to have this work for another decade

Comments

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point
  • 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Budget is a bit flexible to north of $1500, if the price is justifiable for the machine lasting for a longer time

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $326.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler $69.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $144.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $114.97 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card $409.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1181.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 23:45 EST-0500

Cheaper and faster RAM

This B450 "MAX" mobo will work out of the box with the 3700X (plus he may not have the connector, the X570 has bad reviews on Amazon anyway)

cheaper 2060S

upgraded SSD to 1TB

• 27 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the recommendation! Any thoughts on CPU & GPU picks His old GPU was a k1200 quadro focused towards 12-bit color output, but he's ready to ditch that in favor of performance gain with the newer Adobe updates

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube