add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about video games

Jee138
  • 4 months ago

When I lose frames in a game (like a frame drop in the main hub or something) is it because my cpu is weak or because my gpu is weak. Which should I upgrade If I get bad frames?. I have an RX570 as well as a AMD fx 8320.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

It can be both but it is likely the CPU given how weak it is.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I would have to say your CPU is weak in this situation. I'd say that the RX 570 does not have to be upgraded if you want to play games on lower settings.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You want to use some kind of hardware monitoring software like CPU-Z Hardware Info and play your game. After you get to a point in your game that the frames aren't up to par, quit your game, and look at your GPU and CPU utilization max values. The one that reached 100% is the one that is maxed out. If it's your CPU everything will seem slow. If neither are maxed out, it's probably your CPU, just look at how the individual cores are being utilized.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most probably because that that old FX series CPU bottlenecks that RX 570 at instances.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't worry. My bottleneck is even worse than yours. I have a FX 8300 with a GTX 1080. Yeah.

Luckily I don't notice it too much.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is hoping you get a CPU upgrade for Christmas!

Yeah I used to have a fx 8320 oc to 4.7 GHz and when I upgraded to a 1800x in early 2017 I still had a RX 470 GPU. I had upgraded the GPU since but it was a night and day difference from the FX CPU to the Ryzen even with keeping the same video card.

For the OP I would 100% totally upgrade the CPU first. Only downfall is that you also need a new motherboard and ram too. The part list Test19 posted is actually a rather great value for what you get and if you had to choose between the CPU and GPU then get everything on his list but the GPU. GPUs are easy to upgrade later on anyhow. I can understand his concern about the rx 570 being an older card today but I still think the CPU is the biggest culprit in the drops especially in busy towns

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube