add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Build/Builder

iPandaman9

1 month ago

Hello,

I plan on building a gaming PC. This is going to be my first attempt at building one. My budget is roughly $1400-$1500 but the cheaper the better. I was wondering if the parts I had picked out are decent enough for a first PC rig. Thank you for all of your input ahead of time!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CZjqRk

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Needs a few changes.

• You chose a 7700 which is a couple of generations old and that is not a good price for it. You can get a much, much better CPU for that price if not less. The 3600 is a great CPU that will perform better for everything such as gaming and editing.

• I doubt you need 32GB of RAM. 16GB is more than enough for gaming, browsing, light-to-medium editing work, etc. You probably won't come close to utilizing close to 32GB. However, you can always add another 16GB later on.

• The motherboard you chose is rather old. The motherboard in this list is much newer and will perform better. It notes that it's not compatible without a BIOS update but the Prime X470 is updated for Ryzen Zen 2.

• The SSD I included is not only more convenient (because it's M.2) but it's also three times as fast for transfering data and costs less.

• I bumped the GPU up to the 1660 Ti. It's a great GPU that will very easily play all titles at 1080p60 on high settings. If you wanted something capable of 144hz or 1440p gaming, I would suggest the 5700XT but that is nearly twice the price.

• 750W PSU is a bit much. 650W is more than enough for the current hardware and will still be enough for plenty of upgrades.

• I included a better case IMO.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $189.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $132.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $85.89 @ Walmart
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card $274.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks Eclipse P360X ATX Mid Tower Case $79.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $103.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $927.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 11:07 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hello!

Thank you for your recommendations. Isn't the Asus Prime x470 and older motherboard? If so, could I supplement that with a Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard? Also, couldn't I upgrade to the 5700xt GPU down the line? When I search for the 5700xt, several options pop up. Is there a particular brand you would recommend? I'm sorry if I seem like an idiot. I'm new to this and I am still learning. I appreciate your input and your recommendations!

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yzvbL2 this is much better [STAFF REMOVED]

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The sale of those keys violate Microsoft ToS, and the keys may be unexpectedly disabled. Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying these keys as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube