add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need part upgrade opinion advice.

Geddy7
  • 3 months ago

Hi! This is my current parts:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H V2, AM4, DDR4 3200, USB 3.1, DVI-D/HDMI

Case: Zalman S3 ATX MID Tower Computer Case with window

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE RADEON RX 570 4G GDDR5 DUAL HDMI / DVI-D / DUAL DP OC W/BP (UEFI)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G, RX Vega Graphics, 3.5Ghz, 65W, Wraith Stealth cooler

PSU: Silverstone ATX PSU SST-ET550-B, 550W 80 Plus Bronze, Low Noise 120mm

RAM: Patriot Viper Elite DDR4 8GB KIT (2X4GB) 2800MHZ CL16-16-16-36 RED

SSD: Kingston SSD A400 240GB, 2.5", SATA3

I want to upgrade the CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 and GPU to XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra.

My questions are:

1. Will these parts provide a massive boost in performance?
  2. Are there any other parts I should consider for similart price range?
  3. Are my motherboard and PSU compatible with those parts? (BIOS upgraded to latest version)

Thank you!

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Will these parts provide a massive boost in performance?

They will for sure

• Are there any other parts I should consider for similar price range?

I think those parts are balanced. you can always play with other combos like 2600/5700XT or 2700X/5700 if you can take advantage of more cores.

• Are my motherboard and PSU compatible with those parts?

That board can take a 3600, but I don't advice more than that (3700x/3800x).

That PSU will make everything work, but I think you should upgrade for future proofing and some peace of mind with those new parts.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

It does say online that the minimum recommended PSU for RX 5700 is 600 Wat. So I guess I do need a new one then as mine is only 550 Wat?

Can the system bottleneck because of the Motherboard?

And also can I overclock the 3600?

Thanks again!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I mostly agree, but I do think you'll want to upgrade from 8 to 16GB of memory. You can add 2 more sticks, but with that motherboard I suspect the best upgrade would be to sell what you have and install 2x8 of 3200CL16 memory. If you aren't running short of memory now, this doesn't need to be a priority; just be aware that the symptom of running short of memory is that performance falls off a cliff.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't he going to make sure the BIOS on his motherboard is up to date?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube