add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Toxicity and OT

WirelessCables
  • 2 months ago

I feel like OT has become significantly more toxic lately. I understand that there's quite a bit of extra stress at the moment (holidays, finals, and a divisive political climate to name a few), but the amount of toxicity and anger I've seen more and more of is far beyond 'extra stress'. OT has gone from a place of a light discussion to "if you disagree with me, you're a(n) [choice adjective(s)]."

Comments that I would consider harmless and neutral (more in the true spirit of OT imo) have been downvoted with no response (it's only virtual internet points, but it does make me wonder).

I've also noticed some users have even gone so far as to intentionally try and bait others into arguments. Blatant trolling and sarcasm are one thing, but... this ain't it chief.

The mods have done their job quite well in keeping on top of things, but I've also seen a fair amount of comments that tread a fine line.

Anyone else feeling the same way or just me?

Please try to keep it civil, otherwise the whole point of this thread is lost lol

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 16 points

OT has gone from a place of a light discussion to "if you disagree with me, you're a(n) [choice adjective(s)]."

A wise old man once said:

"Good, good! Use your aggressive nature boy! I can feel the hate swelling in you. Take your weapon, strike me down with all of your hatred, and your transformation to the dark side will be complete!"

• 2 months ago
  • 7 points

Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of a dark lord of the Sith?

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

No that's not possible. The Jedi would be aware of it.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Master Yoda, you survived...

• 2 months ago
  • 7 points

Apparently not.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Long have I waited.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Bacon is better than your stick.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Many focus on that moment forgetting the path that leads to it.

Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

One small fear can snowball into a massive choice that haunts people forever.

• 2 months ago
  • 11 points

Oh no, I'm not brave enough for forum politics.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

This whole operation was your idea.

• 2 months ago
  • 7 points

I guess I wasn't clear though - I meant getting downvoted at all, meaning only say, 1 or 2 unwarranted (as far as I can tell), rather than getting sent to the shadow realm but with reason

It can be tempting to assign disproportionate value to a downvote or two. With any system with voting like this, my advice is to treat one or two upvotes or downvotes as nothing more than noise. You'll never know why a random drive-by downvote occurs. A lot of times at person could simply be having a bad day, or they didn't like the way you phrased something or spelled a word.

There are a lot of arbitrary reasons to vote, and if there only one or two, it shouldn't hold much more importance than noise.

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

I actually don't think it has gotten any worse lol. Don't you recall the days of Legonate and the weekly debates over religion and Christianity?

Remember Bespers? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time.

The Wheel of OT turns, and Users come and pass, leaving comments that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the User that gave it birth comes again. For one User, called the Third Troll by some, a User yet to come, a User long past, a Topic rose above the great cacophonous posts of "K". The Topic was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of OT. But it was a beginning.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

rolfjc or whatever, too.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

We shall never forget roflejc

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Comment deserves a Gorkbuck

• 2 months ago
  • 8 points

This is... the first time anyone has ever tried to give me a Gorkbuck...

Everybody always asks how to get Gorkbucks.... nobody ever asks how to give. ='(

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

This is... the first time anyone has ever tried to give me a Gorkbuck...

Ehem.....

I seem to recall an attempted transfer which was denied due to no mechanism bring in place for such a thing.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

You've been credited three (3) GorkBucks for pointing out my faulty memory! Although this was kind of different feeling, but I remember what you are referencing.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, it's been a while so I'm actually surprised I remembered!

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

...well I mean my good nature should be worth at least... 2 Gorkbucks... lol

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Your balance has been credited two (2) Gorkbucks.

GorkTi200's balance has been credited one (1) Gorkbuck.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't you recall the days of Legonate and the weekly debates over religion and Christianity? Remember Bespers? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time.

Thread closed. You got me :P

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

Maybe we need some more Tragiktimes is Hungry threads. :p

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

I've really shirked lately.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Want me to take over?

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Are you hungry? :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I was earlier, but after 2 slices of pizza, grapes, chips, and a Zipfizz, it seems to have gone away.

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

If you'd like to pick up the mantle from time to time, you've he King's blessings. Lol

Wife just reminded me I'm not a king. Says jester is more accurate

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

My gratitude is with you, my lord.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you ever feel like laying down the mantle just let me know and I can take it up from you.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I’d pin you as a baron, to be honest.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

^^2nd this

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

I enjoy it here to be honest, you will always have toxic, but compared to other places, it is rather calm.

All i can ever hope for is that i never become toxic here.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

II try to keep out of OT politics. I'm not one to really push forward. I just watch the threads. I think the toxicity comes from all the rising tensions. With Iran, and the whole impeachment thing, the whole government has sort of devolved into a bit of a metaphorical circus. People have their opinions, and I respect that. I just can't get into the conversation.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

To be entirely honest, I haven't been paying much attention...

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I've not really been paying attention lately, either that or I'm just dumb

I do, however, remember the dude from a couple weeks ago who had the mindset that nobody here knew anything and saying he's going to ''better" sites and all that

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I haven't really seen much toxicity, but then again, my activity on these forums has been limited compared to past years.

When it comes to politics on here, I usually lend my opinion and not debate with any responses. More of a "here's my viewpoint, It's what I believe in and I'm not going to argue about it" type of approach. It sounds stuck up, but it works out fine on the Internet.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Will officially be renaming myself ToxikTimes

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Welcome to the world of E-Politics, this place is about as safe and tame as it gets outside of political echo chambers. Personally i ( and maybe you should ) always avoid overtly political threads, because is it really useful to spend real life time arguing with someone or some people when theres no consequences? Alot of the times on the internet people are alot more steadfast on their political views than they are in real life so you're probably not changing anyone's opinions. Generally not worth what little time you have on this beautiful world.

Coming from a person that has wasted too much of their life on political threads and discussions across hundreds of different forums it will accomplish you nothing. If you have to express your political views do so in real life, you'll actually have an impact on the world which is cool.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I make 2 posts after a year and BAM it's more toxic now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Please keep it polite.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I gotta be honest, I have no clue what is happening on this thread.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel that due to the polarity of ideologies of politics especially, you tend to have more intensive argument as one will criticize more harshly than they would under casual means. However, the most of discussions I've seen have are quite tame, and only some really edge on the border of heat.

Comments that I would consider harmless and neutral (more in the true spirit of OT imo) have been downvoted with no response (it's only virtual internet points, but it does make me wonder).

Nah not really lol. Most heavily downvoted posts have been really unfounded opinions that contribute basically nothing.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah not really lol. Most heavily downvoted posts have been really unfounded opinions that contribute basically nothing.

For sure. I guess I wasn't clear though - I meant getting downvoted at all, meaning only say, 1 or 2 unwarranted (as far as I can tell), rather than getting sent to the shadow realm but with reason

• 2 months ago
  • 4 points

Ive noticed this too as well. While I do mostly post on OT as of late (my PC hobby lost traction cause it just gets too expensive to keep up) I agree its been slower lately.

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

My PC hobby has lost traction becasue I'm losing interest in gaming. I feel like it is almost ironic, I have a reasonable dream set up and now I'm not really into gaming anymore.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I'm trying desperately to branch to new genres in the hopes I'll find something that resparks my interest.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been off playing my Switch backlog, haha.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

my Switch backlog

Been playing Wargroove on Switch when I do find time. It's great!

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

For me it's all about time. I scarcely buy games anymore and have fallen behind from the popular stuff because I have no time anymore.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, was like that for the last few months, working 80ish hours a week. Finally slowed down a bit for me, so I've been playing a little overwatch here and there lately.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube