add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion wanted on first build ever

TheAviator88
  • 1 month ago

Hello! I'm looking forward to build my first rig ever. I've always used laptops until today. The goal of this build is to primarily play games at 1440p in the range between 60 and 144 fps. I'm not into moba or online games. I almost play single player games only. So, for example, I would achieve that goal in games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider or that kind of graphic load tier of games (in ultra settings). My list includes monitor, keyboard and mouse as I don't own that gear (the mouse I use with my laptop is a very basic one). Any advice is warmly welcome!

Build: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheAviator88/saved/#view=DXxrrH

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Build looks great, with some changes:

• A MAX-series Ryzen 3000 ready motherboard. Your current selection will require a BIOS update which is possible 1) either using a previous GEN CPU 2) or a CPU-less flash button update, if the motherboard supports this feature

• 16GB RAM is more than sufficient for gaming

[OPTIONAL] Another possibility - being higher resolution gaming is more GPU-bound, you might fancy the RTX 2080 SUPER (10-20% avg increase fps performance depending on game type). This ones optional - more in favour for the higher FPS ensuing enthusiast @ 144hz. To make this possible, depending on your immediate storage requirements, you could opt for a single 1TB SSD + throw in another 50 euros on top:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor €205.89 @ Amazon Italia
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard €129.00 @ Amazon Italia
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory €94.99 @ Amazon Italia
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive €129.99 @ Amazon Italia
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card €797.00 @ Amazon Italia
Case Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case €77.05 @ Amazon Italia
Power Supply FSP Group Hydro G 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply €99.00 @ Amazon Italia
Monitor LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor €499.99 @ Amazon Italia
Keyboard Logitech K840 Wired Standard Keyboard €96.18 @ Amazon Italia
Mouse Logitech MX518 Wired Optical Mouse -
Speakers Logitech Z200 0 nW 2.0 Channel Speakers €36.48 @ Alternate Italia
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €2165.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-21 23:03 CET+0100

or save 50 eu and grab a more affordable Romer-G Tactile mech keyboard: https://www.amazon.it/Logitech-Tastiera-Giochi-Meccanica-Italiano/dp/B071XW5FW8/ref=sr_1_2?fst=as%3Aoff&keywords=mechanical+keyboard&qid=1579644337&refinements=p_89%3AAzio%7CCooler+Master%7CCorsair%7CHyperX%7CLogitech%7CLogitech+G%7CRedragon&rnid=1688663031&sr=8-2

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I modified my list to reflect your suggestions. My only doubt is about the motherboard, as I need a wireless network adapter or a wi-fi capable mobo. I could also pick an older B450 mobo with a wi-fi module and flash an updated BIOS via USB key, as MSI motherboards have this capability. I have mixed feelings about the 2080 super. I don't know if the fps improvement it's worth the extra money I should spend to get it. Maybe for the moment I'll pass and change the 2070 s in the future when new cards will come out. Last but not least... CPU cooler. In a build like this it's worth to spend extra money in an aftermarket cooler or the stock one (Wraith Stealth) coming with the cpu is ok? I could also change the 3600 with a 3600X if the stock cooler (Wraith Spire) that comes with it is a better combo than the 3600/stock or 3600/any other aftermarket cooler.

Updated build: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheAviator88/saved/#view=C8GfP6

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the delayed response - been a little tied down of late. Back in full swing!!

My only doubt is about the motherboard, as I need a wireless network adapter or a wi-fi capable mobo. I could also pick an older B450 mobo with a wi-fi module and flash an updated BIOS via USB key, as MSI motherboards have this capability.

• You could dial down to a non-MAX variant and produce a working system. Problem being, the MAX series mobos came to fruition with purpose - essentially what you get is a larger BIOS chip which delivers sufficient memory for 3rd GEN CPU functionality (full feature activation) + a kinder bedrock for future optimisations/updates. With WIFI being a necessary function, you can either opt for a dedicated WIFI PCIe card with a B450 or grab a X570 mobo with built-in WIFI.

I have mixed feelings about the 2080 super. I don't know if the fps improvement it's worth the extra money I should spend to get it. Maybe for the moment I'll pass and change the 2070 s in the future when new cards will come out.

Great thinking!! Personally i'd fancy a 2070 SUPER too (great for 1440p) with an earlier upgrade path down the road. These cards are already rather expensive for my personal liking hence it makes sense not having to fork out a bombshell for not so much of a bombshell performance spike with a 2080-S.

Last but not least... CPU cooler. In a build like this it's worth to spend extra money in an aftermarket cooler or the stock one (Wraith Stealth) coming with the cpu is ok? I could also change the 3600 with a 3600X if the stock cooler (Wraith Spire) that comes with it is a better combo than the 3600/stock or 3600/any other aftermarket cooler.

This ones down to user preference. For my personal taste, i'd fancy either the 3600 or 3600X with an aftermarket $30-$35 cooler for lower thermals and more importantly achieving a lesser acoustic range (ramped up noise levels). The 3600X does come with a better cooler but it's justified considering it's a higher binned CPU which achieves a marginal performance boost (the performance gain won't make hardly any impact in higher resolution gaming performance). Spire is definitely better than the stealth but when ramped up it does get a little loud.

If you're saving money opting for a 2070 super and fancy a small performance gain on the CPU side, you could just grab the 3600X and fly with it. Upgrading coolers later (if desired) is effortlessly easy.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube