add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
cjag-73
  • 1 month ago

I currently have an i5 6600k with a 1660ti GPU. What would be a major upgrade to this system? Should I upgrade or should I wait. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 4 points

Depends on what you're doing with it. Single threaded, a 9900K isn't going to be all that much faster than your 6600K, but of course it will have the extra cores - which might, or might not, matter depending on what you're running.

The only major jump from a 1080 Ti would be a 2080 Ti. Which leads me to the question, what monitor are you driving? It's possible that the best upgrade to your system would be a better monitor, depending on what you are using now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Right now I have the LG widescreen 21:9. 2556 * 1080

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't upgrade, they're both still good for a lot of purposes, that includes gaming, but if you were to upgrade in the future, I would go with the CPU

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well, it depends on what you are doing with it but that computer is still a beast and upgrading it would probably just be a waste of money. Ask yourself "Is there anything I am doing on this computer that is too slow or needs a higher FPS or that I want to turn up the graphics settings on?"

If the answer is yes then I guess an upgrade is reasonable if it's affordable for you. Although if what is so slow is loading times then a newer CPU or GPU probably isn't what you need, you'd want an SSD.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I guess another question I should be asking is that I would like to try out the ryzen 7 and the new Radeon 5700 XT so really I'm just trying to see if it's justifiable for me to get another PC and ultimately is it really going to make that much of a difference. I am happy with the computer I have now and yes I do I have an m.2 SSD with it and it's quite fast and I'm not disappointed in anything at all, it's just that I've had it for a couple years now and was just curious if I should try the ryzen or not, anyways thanks for your input guys

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I do understand the upgrade itch, but the fundamental question is always what is the upgrade going to fix? For instance if a 2080 Ti takes your fps in some game from 100 to 144, will you notice? Now, if you combined the GPU change with a switch to a 1440p ultrawide monitor, you would very likely notice that difference.

Off the cuff, without double checking, I'm inclined to think that a 1080 Ti is significantly faster than an RX 5700XT. The story on the Ryzen will be similar to an Intel CPU upgrade, single thread speeds won't change much but you can get more cores. That only matters when you run multi-threaded programs that can make use of the cores. Some game engines will, some won't.

Both Intel and AMD are (apparently) at the end of a lifecycle, the next Intel generation will definitely be using a new socket and my guess is that the next AMD release will too. (Unless they decide to do a tweaked Zen2+, and everything we've been hearing is Zen 3.) So this is probably a bad time to take on an upgrade when you aren't in any real need of one. My advice is to grab some popcorn, sit back, and wait to see what develops.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Sound advice that it makes sense thank you

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

4000 series is confirmed by AMD to be coming on AM4. It's Zen 3. Zen 2+ may be empowering next gen consoles(that I will not discuss.) or something.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

If you're talking about the mobile 4000 CPU's that were announced at CES, I was under the impression that they are Zen 2 with APU's. AMD have the APU numbering one series ahead; so e.g. the 2200G is a 1200 with an APU, not a Zen+.

I'm not necessarily disputing that Zen 3 will be AM4, because I don't know. I would be surprised though.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

This not place for such discussion so I was hoping to avoid this, but okay.

Those upcoming consoles are Zen 2, which was confirmed by both Sony and Microsoft,but specifications are allegedly not finalized yet. Traditionally both companies have their special needs regarding optimizations. As similar as that hardware will be, it will likely not be completely identical.

For example Killzone Shadowfall for PlayStation 4 was allegedly being developed with 4GB RAM PlayStation 4 in mind, not the 8 GB that it ended up with. As I understand it Guerrilla Games was taken of guard when Mark Cerny switched to 8GB at last notice. At the time they did not enjoy such trust like these days I suppose. Same story about base Xbox One. They were caught off guard by PS4 8GB announcement and had to quickly do some additional optimizations to both console and probably development kits.

So just because some games are well into the development for the Zen 2 hardware, doesn't mean that it will not have some Zen 3 features. After all those machines need to last for 7 years or so regardless if Pro versions will be eventually released or not.

So maybe they are developed for 9.2 AMD version of TF in mind, but there might be development kits of 12 AMD TF in the reserve waiting just in case available only to 1st Party studios.

Both companies are likely unsure about prices of some components. Such as Samsung Gen 4 Nvmes that will be inside. Depending on the capacity they decide will influence the final specs of other things. They cannot afford 1000$ price. It would blow up to their face. Few would buy it.

Remember both Sony and Microsoft were investors in Navi. Sony especially. I don't know if I should or shouldn't believe that NAVI was at 1st being developed exclusively for PS5. IF true, it would mean that RDNA line up of XT cards wouldn't exist without PS5 project. I have my doubts about that, but whatever.

But this is not place for this. If you wish to continue , PM me.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

I am talking about the next consumer Ryzen being AM4, or not. That's all. I'm not sure what consoles have to do with it. Since I don't actually know either way, I'm happy to let it drop.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If it is working fine (and it should be) then just wait. AMD Zen 3 comes out this year but that is the end of the current cycle. Zen 4 should be out in 2021 and supposedly be using DDR5 Ram and PCIe 5 etc. Since Zen 4 is the next platform, a lot of the new tech won't come until then.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHT9P9XnsHc 1080 Ti vs 5700XT vs 2070 Super in 9 games.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

My mistake. I actually have the 1660ti. Not the 1080ti

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Now that makes a lot more sense , because it was absurd earlier. 1660 Ti is a great card so you should be absolutely certain that you aren't happy with it's performance anymore b4 investing 400$ or more into anything. Upgrade CPU 1st if you really must upgrade now and wait for next generation of RDNA. It will be interesting to see what AMD has to show in regards to Raytracing. If you really, really must experience 1440pUltra@Milion fps or at 4K , than fine. If not however , wait until Black Friday or Christmas 2020 and than decide what,if anything to purchase for upgrading purposes.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

I wasn't sure where to post thread, but thank you for the heads up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube