add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Disppointed
  • 29 days ago

I currently have a GeForce GTX 1070, i5-4690 3.5GHz, 8gb of ram, MSI H81M-E33, 2 tb HDD, and a 500 w power supply. I am looking to upgrade without breaking the bank since my GPU is being held back by the rest of the system, which has also aged quite a bit. I want to upgrade the cpu, ram, and motherboard and I found an i-5 8400 2.8 GHz, MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory, and I am not sure if I need a new case or not. This would amount to $450 and I'm looking to see if anyone has any better recommendations or anything I should add. Thank you!

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $189.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $64.98 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB AMP! Extreme Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $439.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-22 21:32 EST-0500

If you are in the USA, that is a horrible price.

This has a better upgrade path and, I even added a good budget PSU and STILL fail to get to $450!

(GPU was added to check the wattage needed, if it's a 190W or less model, you can drop to a 550W unit of the same type)

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps some out of the box compatibility would be better? Like...2700X or something. Or maybe some cheap X570 board?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

The mobo is compatible out of the box with the 3600.

All of the "MAX" series are that way, even the budget A320 A-Pro that just got added.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Some1 should explain that to whoever is responsible for taking care of compatibility checks on this website.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I wasnt sure if I should also get another fan since I currently only have 1 on my case and its the same one thats been there for almsot 5 years. I also didnt know a thing about the AMD series so I tended to just look at the intel.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Also with a new mother board would I need to buy Windows 10 again?

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Full, no. OEM, yes.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

So I would not need to buy it again when replacing these parts? Sorry that seemed a little confusing to me so a little clarification would help.

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Full means you can transfer it.

OEM means it's tied to the mobo and you would need to get another one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube