add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
kloaf11
  • 1 month ago

pcpartpicker I do not know how to do the on post parts list. Someone lets me know I will add it.

Most everything I own. Probably need to change my cooler which is a 61x not a 60x. CPU/GPU/Mobo/Ram are the parts I'd be buying and looking for advice. I know 64 GB of ram is a bit overkill but thats fine other suggestions for Ram will be considered. I do a lot of multi program work. The gpu and cpu I'm unsure on. I was looking about one tier and below on both. Saying the reasons for any suggestions is extremely recommended. Not my first build and this is a mix of an upgrade for now and trying to future proof quite a bit as upgrades for this system are far and few between. Current system is 4790k/980ti/Gaming 5/2133 16 GB DDR3 (gskill pretty sure not at home)

Cheaper for justification is fine. More within about 1300-1500 is fine as well with justification. just looking for opinions. Also the 1300-1500 is just for the parts mentioned above which right now sit around 1k. As for the cooler I mentioned above. Might go stock or cheap aftermarket heat sink. Might go another AIO. Recommendations welcome.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $189.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard *MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 860 QVO 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $199.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card $499.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $109.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
External Storage Western Digital My Passport Ultra Portable 2 TB External Hard Drive $147.39 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1392.33
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-23 11:57 EST-0500

Honestly, 64gb is a waste of money for most stuff and 32gb is way more than enough. I also put in 2 better motherboards (with the parametric selection). The tomahawk max is a good, cheap motherboard but it may stop reciving bios updates a bit earlier than the x570 tuf, but it should be fine. Both of these are better options than the previous one. I also put in a better (and higher wattage)psu, in case you may want to upgrade a bit more in the future or something.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The PSU I will consider. If I'm being honest I put this up at work and couldn't remember the current PSU wattage. I just chose the closest to what I know I had brand/make wise and then the lowest acceptable wattage for opinions. I may have a 650+ already. I just didn't want to put that without looking again because my original build was 5 years ago. As far as 64. I don't think it's as much as a waste as you might think. I currently run 16. But I max that out with out doing even half the stuff I want to be doing at the same time most of the time. So the double was just to have the room for everything. I might just do 32 and upgrade from there. I'm undecided. See how much I can stress it. But I do appreciate the advice.

Also the multiple processes I would be running was why I mentioned the hard decision between the 2700 vs the 3600. I think I could actually use the cores but unsure. I did think about comparable intel cpus. But most of them seem to much for the small improvement if any and in some places worst. I was also thinking hard about the gpu and considered a teir lower with the 2070 or the 2060S but I also use my gpu for encoding as well as running multiple applications at once including some game design in Unreal sometimes so I'm unsure if the downgrade would be worth it for the future.

Just like the guy below. Not immediately dismissing just throwing my thought process out there.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think I could actually use the cores but unsure. I did think about comparable intel cpus. But most of them seem to much for the small improvement if any and in some places worst.

Honestly, If your using multiple productivity workloads, AMD is the way to go. AMD kills Intel in productivity. Plus Intel isn't the way to go (for most stuff) rn imo.

I was also thinking hard about the gpu and considered a teir lower with the 2070 or the 2060S

If you are thinking of going down a tier, I would probably recommend the 2060 super over the regular 2070 since the super has about the same performance as the regular 2070 iirc and it's cheaper.

As far as 64. I don't think it's as much as a waste as you might think. I currently run 16. But I max that out with out doing even half the stuff I want to be doing at the same time most of the time

Ok, well this may be good for you.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree completely with the first statement right now.

I've looked at different benchmarks. For heavier gaming and streaming encoding using the gpu what is your personal opinion between improvement from 2060S vs 2070S. And is your opinion on the RX 5700/X the same as mine that the bit you can squeeze out of the 2060S/2070S for price is still better?

Why this particular ram over the one I chose? any specific reason or just because it's slightly cheaper? most specs look the same and both are g.skill.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree completely with the first statement right now.

Yeah, AMD is really killing it rn. I kinda hope they can keep it up for a while, especially with the gpus (since they seem to be improving over past gens and while not as competive as thier cpus, I think they're making nvidia look).

For heavier gaming and streaming encoding using the gpu what is your personal opinion between improvement from 2060S vs 2070S. And is your opinion on the RX 5700/X the same as mine that the bit you can squeeze out of the 2060S/2070S for price is still better?

I mean there is some improvement in the 2070s, but I mean I think it kinda depends on what your budget is, idk. I use a 5700xt and I love the price to performance compared to nvidias offerings at the moment. Although, I have heard that its encoder does drop quality and the drivers are kinda buggy at the moment.

Why this particular ram over the one I chose? any specific reason or just because it's slightly cheaper? most specs look the same and both are g.skill.

Its cheaper and faster (3200mhz for the new kit vs 3000mhz for the other kit) plus same specs.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Your right I did notice that it was 3200 vs 3000. I don't know why I forgot about that. The price increase isn't really a big deal to me for 2070S. I think I'm going to stick with NVidia for the Turing NVENC for encoding since many games I stream work on that. But I do agree in general the 5700 would be a great compromise for the price to performance if you didn't stream/use the gpu encoding.

Thank you for the back and forth I appreciate it a lot. I'm still going to be split on the GPU but I have a few more weeks to decide on the purchase so hopefully I get there.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's not a lot of a upgrade for the money spent.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/2384vs4040

That I why I still have my 4790k if you overclock it some you right at the same performance except with programs that can use all the cores.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I 100% personally believe with all my multitasking which includes if I can get away with it with video editing while streaming, programming/other projects open. Also sometimes I run Unreal in the background to work on stuff during queue times for the multiplayer games. Sometimes I have sql stuff open in the background running work related activities as well as I use it for training for my buddies in which case there is a small local instance I host for that. But I have been considering if the upgrading the CPU is worth it and that decision was honestly more based on wanting to switch to a chipset that can handle faster ddr4 than my current ddr3. I could upgrade my ddr3 but the sticks themselves are fairly old and I would feel better personally with matching sticks which would mean buying 2 larger sticks or 4 new sticks. And I'm not throwing your idea out the window. I'm considering it. I'm just letting you know my thought process.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would drop one set of the memory and get the 3700x then. Going to have to get a mounting kit for AM4 for the cooler.

For memory speed DDR4 is not really faster than DDR3. My memory is DDR3 2400 with 11 cas that comes out like 9.1ns it would pretty much take DDR4 3200 with 15 cas to match it. It's a bit more involved than that but fairly close.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No that makes overall sense. My other reason for ddr4 over ddr3 is that ddr3 has been around for quite a while and ddr4 should in theory last a bit longer if I didn't want to replace it until they die and my plan which I said in my response above but not to you because it skipped my mind. I feel like I could manage to use all 32 in a reasonable manner. But I was going to purchase the first 32 set and see from there. Right now I can't quite put a number on the total gigs I'd end up using because my current cap is 16. So I was going to test it out first to see if I felt like I needed more. and then in the back of my mind I could think of some uses for extra ram as weird as that sounds. The purpose of putting 64 up in the list was 2 part. One was the consideration of price if I ended up needing more than 32(I would by another 32 to satisfy my needs for pairs whether it came with improved performance or not for my needs if I needed more than 32) the other was to get people's opinion on it. As I said originally I know 64 would probably be in total overkill.

• 1 month ago
  • 0 points

UBM isn't a good source.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's a good reference spot 100% accurate no.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube