add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 1600 12nm or i7-7700K

Master-Zixx
  • 29 days ago

Currently system:

I5-6500, 16GB 2133, Asus Strix Z270G mATX, GTX 950, 550W PSU. It is starting to feel a little slow in certain uni tasks (programming and network architecture and security) and especially in newer gaming titles, therefore I feel both a cpu and gpu upgrade are in order.

£600 budget, 1080p gaming, I have a G-sync monitor as my primary display.

I feel there are two logical paths both are roughly £570.

Ryzen 5 1600 AF 12nm, B450M Mortar Max, 16Gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance, WiFi PCIe adapter, EVGA RTX 2060 KO

Or

2nd hand i7-7700k (found some for £200), Deepcool Castle 280, EVGA RTX 2060 KO.

Which would you go with and why. Keep in mind the last time this system was upgraded was 4 or 5 years ago, and probably wont be for another 4 or 5 years. That 950 was an rma from a 760!

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 4 points

7700K+tower cooler+5700XT/2060 Super would likely be your best bet.

Swapping platforms you also need to check your Windows key for OEM or Full, if OEM that needs to be replaced as well cutting into budget.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Never even thought of the Windows License. Would have to look into that, likely to be an OEM. What tower cooler for the 7700K in a Crystal 280X. I would probably lean towards the RTX 2060 Super, preferring Geforce experience and not being too sure how backwards compatible this "gsync now supports radeon" thing is. The monitor is 5 years old, and I still really love adaptive sync when it kicks in on older titles that actually run above 60fps! xD

• 29 days ago
  • 3 points

Keep in mind the last time this system was upgraded was 4 or 5 years ago, and probably wont be for another 4 or 5 years.

My problem with the i7-7700K, even though a cost effective solution requiring no motherboard upgrade, is that you are still replacing a 4 core processor with another one. The 7700K is not really a huge upgrade. It will maybe uplift performance by 30%-40% and it would be generous to assume it would scale as such to actual applications.

While the Ryzen 5 1600 is not really faster than the 7700K the AM4 platform gives you upgrade options all the way to the Ryzen 9 3950X if you get the right motherboard and make the right bios update. If you are strapped for cash now you might not be in future, particularly three years from now where the Ryzen 9 3950X will be as cheap as chips on the used market. Just a thought.

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

I would agree with the i7 for the price.

Their also the BIOS issues on the board for the new AF processor.

The AF is not listed here. Could be a update out did not check.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX#support-cpu

This site is not 100% accurate but fairly close so it's a decent upgrade.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3647vs3513

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

I'd go for the 7700k over the Ryzen 5 1600 AF.

However, if it was me, I would upgrade the Video card first and see how things pan out. I would either go for the 7700k now or save up and go with the Ryzen 2700x or the 3600.

I don't know what the prices of the Deep Cool Castle are in your country, but I would opt for an aircooler like the Scythe Fuma or Mugen 5. I have the Fuma and it's a pretty good cooler.

For some reason the prices of a used 7700k went down after the 8700k came out but then they skyrocketed after Intel announced they had a chip shortage. I bought a used 7700k for $200 usd around June of 2017 then I sold it 6 months later for $240. Comet Lake is supposed to come out in a few months and the Core i3 processors will supposedly have 4 cores with 8 threads like the old i7 processors. So I don't know if this will effect the 2nd hand value of the 7700k.

After the Ryzen 3000 series processors came out, I saw a lot of 2nd hand listing for the 6700k and 4790k processors. A ton of listings for the 4790k to the point that people were selling their 4790k for $120 or even $100.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Well for productivity I would get the 1600. For gaming, neither is really going to be that much noticeably faster than your i5, unless you overclock them to maximum. I'd still get the 1600 because it's so cheap and that's money that could be spent elsewhere. There's no way I would pay that much for i7 Kabylake 4c/8t. $100 maybe, but certainly no more than that when there are better Ryzens for less, as well as new i3s with 4c/8t.

Get the new graphics card first, and see how well your existing i5 does. Tune up your RAM too. I bet you can run it faster or with tighter timings.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube