add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Does a custom water loop make a PC completely silent?

hi_im_snowman
  • 1 month ago

Forgive my ignorance but I'm interested in upgrading my rig and I'm wondering if adding a full custom loop would allow me to run my pc 100% silently, even under max load?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No. It is impossible to have a 100% silent PC since something will always be moving. The loop will need a pump to move water and fans unless you have ridiculous amount of surface area although it would be the closest thing you could get to complete silence. LTT did this with 3 thick 360MM rads. And if you want to do this make sure to get a fanless PSU so you don't go to all of this trouble for nothing. A more practical approach would be aiming for near total silence instead of total silence.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

To make a completely silent PC you need to remove all fans from a PC and go with a passive cooling solution. Now unless you have a super quiet room it is more reasonable to get a PC to run quiet enough it won't be heard over the ambient noise.

A few ways you can accomplish this is by using silent fans and reduce the speed on them. A strong air cooler can be more silent than a water cooling loop as it lacks any pumps and you can have 2 silence optimized fans on it. Say a dark rock 4 (or pro 4) or from noctua NH-D15 or NH-u12a come with some really awesome fans and are very powerful coolers.

Say you get a r7 3700x and a dark rock 4 you can limit the max fan speed to 60% with it dropping as low as 30% on idle chances are you will not hear it at all over the ambient noise in your room. Also with just letting the CPU self boost itself which is recommended it also have good temps on that kind of cooler. Then it is a matter of getting a decent case and getting good 4 pin fans and getting the motherboard to manage the speed of all of them to keep the noise down but only really use them if it is even needed.

Now fanless PSUs will help cut noise as well and GPU fans generally have the most noise. Luckily most GPUs have a zero RPM mode for fans when you are not gaming and if you are just watching videos and stuff they won't even turn on. While gaming chances are you will either have speakers or a headset and any noise you get from the game will drown out the GPU noise when it is under load.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube