add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Changing prices on a completed build.

lenoz
  • 84 months ago

This is a useful idea in a couple of different ways I think - basically the price of parts when a build is marked as "completed" is saved in the database with each component of that build.

Naturally this would suggest the ability to switch between "current prices" and "build prices", of which I assume "build prices" would be the default layout. So to be clear:
- "build prices" shows all the prices of the components at the time the user marked it as completed, regardless of whether that was yesterday or a year ago.
- "current prices" allows you to look at the best price for that component on the current market (current default view)

Why is this good? These are the reasons I can think of - and I think it helps in multiple ways:

• We can judge a build better based on what the person paid for the parts, not what they would pay now, which seems kind of clunky once you start thinking about it!
  • Users would be allowed to edit the saved "build prices" - I would say at the moment about 1 in 3 builds have prices in their description, "this is what I actually paid for the parts at the time". Editing the prices directly would cut out the need for this, as well as making this kind of information so much more presentable
  • Availability - current prices are based on current retailers. We all know how quickly technology advances. A year down the line all the current builds we celebrate might not even have half of their prices listed because the components are no longer being sold by the major retailers! Build prices will ALWAYS be relevant.

So there we have it. I think this is a really good idea and kills several birds with one stone. Hope you like it! (Sorry Philip, another set of data to store in the database with each build!)

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Bump, agreed! I was looking for the same exact features when viewing completed build prices. I was looking for the ability to switch from the default completed build "saved/paid" prices of all components individually and the total cost to the "current" prices of all components individually and the total cost. It would be nice if a completed build page could show two price columns (one listing "Paid Price" & one listing "Current Price") of all components individually and the total cost. Basically a clone of the current Price column but showing all the current prices and total. As just a possible bonus addition, another column or popup information going over the prices on either price column could show a "Price Difference" listing, showing the price difference between the saved/paid price and the current price of all components individually and the total cost. The price difference could show a plus or minus and be say blue for no price difference, red for a higher current price, and green for a lower current price.

For example:

"Component" | "Selection" | "Owner Rating" | "Paid Price" | "Current Price" | "Price Difference"

"CPU" | "Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core" | "*" | "$189.99 @ Microcenter" | "$219.99 @ Newegg" | "+$30" (colored in red)

At least easily being able to view both the "saved/paid" prices and "current" prices on/for completed builds would be really helpful here.

I also agree with users being able to edit the "saved/paid" prices. I also see builds having prices listed in the description which makes the total cost off.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Great additions. And thanks for the support. I really hoped/expected more people to get behind this :(

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm all for this. I've been wrestling with how to go about it for a while, but I think I finally have it figured out. It's been a pretty common request for normal part lists too (being able to mark price paid). I'm going to try to get this in pretty soon - maybe in a week or so? (Maybe faster if the implementation/UI side goes smoothly?)

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Brilliant news. Thanks so much. Can't wait to see it. As ever, if you want any help mocking up CSS just give me a shout.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Although I should add I think the "@ Microcenter" part of your example is unnecessary and adds bulk - I don't think it is relevant to know which retailer was selling it cheapest at the time, only the price. Especially as tons of these prices are going to be edited by the user anyway to reflect real usage.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I like this idea a lot!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube