add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Switching between currencies on a completed build.

lenoz
  • 84 months ago

This idea is based around the same school of thought as the other I just published about switching between relevant and current prices on a build.

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the disparity in build prices between GBP (I am in the UK) and USD (where the large majority of users are from).

When you look through the list of completed builds (on its own page or the homepage side list) you view these builds in your own currency, e.g. for me all URLs are uk.pcpartpicker.com - but in many cases you really have no idea (you either forget to consider it or just plain don't know for sure) which currency the build was really constructed in. It was seeing so many builds linked up in comments that really reminded me that most of the completed builds I look at in GBP are really USD builds.

So my proposition is that not only should you be able to switch between build prices and current prices (see other thread) but you should also be able to switch between "builder's currency (USD)" and "my currency (GBP)" (obviously the currency labels based on my locale and builder's locale). Also this switch would obviously only be available for builds not constructed in your own currency for simplicity.

Now then, why (in my opinion) is it important to be able to switch currencies?

• Exchange rates vary a lot.
  • Availability varies a lot. Some items (I came across a particular PSU I wanted to buy for a recent build) are simply not distributed in a different country.
  • Prices vary a lot. If something is harder to find in the UK, prices are going to be higher. More than that, think about how many variations there are in just RAM. In fact, just in Corsair RAM. I have not really gotten to the bottom of this yet but there are so many different variations that you can pick and choose between which one is (for no real reason) the cheapest at the time. I was looking at 16GB of 1600 MHz Corsair Vengeance LP in GBP on a USD build that was more expensive than 16GB of 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance LP in my own prospective pure-GBP build! I switched both builds into the US currency (with the URL change) and the two prices were the other way round again. RAM seems to be the worst offender for this (just seemingly arbitrary prices) but you can see this across other parts too.

So because of all these things - exchange rates, availability, and prices - it is at best unfair, or at worst impossible, to judge a "foreign" build in your own currency. With a switch we could get a better grasp on a user's component choice and overall build level.

And presumably we would be able to choose between our own default on our settings page: "view builds in a foreign currency in: - the builder's currency / - my currency (GBP)"

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

A quick example of switching currencies by the way.

I have a GBP build priced up at the moment for £1332.25
If I switch to the US site the build prices at $1679.79

It is only when you take the time to run a currency conversion that you realise how differently priced these two builds are.
$1679.79 right now equates to £1099.29

That's an incredible 17% reduction in price (from £1332.25 to £1099.29) if I was able to purchase my parts in the US.

It quickly becomes apparent how inappropriate it is for a UK build to be judged in USD or indeed a US build to be judged in GBP.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

This is because in the UK there is this thing we all hate it's called VAT that's why in the US it is so much cheaper

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube