add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RAM choices for overclocking - how bad is my mistake?

lenoz
  • 84 months ago

Hey all - purchased all parts for main build, just waiting on PSU and a couple of fans...

Anyway for some reason I had got into my head that if you were going to have 16GB RAM and no real intention to upgrade to 32GB in the future then you would get better performance out of 4x4GB than you would out of 2x8GB. So that's exactly what I ordered.

But now I realise this was a mistake. And it seems that 2x8GB has more benefits - apparently it is easier to overclock with just 2 sticks. Because I'm still an overclocking virgin I'm not even entirely sure if the advice I read concerned only overclocking RAM modules or is related to overclocking processors too - maybe the two are intrinsic and you always do both rather than one or the other?

So I started looking at returning my Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB 1833MHz CL9 - and getting the same kit in 2x8GB. But I'm surprised how much more expensive it is. I paid £83.99 for the 4x4 and it looks like the cheapest I can get the 2x8 for is circa £114 which seems like a huge increase just for a configuration change. Based on the price differential (and don't forget I'll have to pay £5 recorded delivery postage to return the first set) am I just wasting my time and should accept my mistake and stick with 4x4GB?

The other option is to be satisfied with CL10 - a CL10 2x8GB kit works out about the same price as the CL9 4x4GB. But every time I read anything I read how a lower latency helps with overclocking (possibly noticeable) and performance (likely unnoticeable) too.

For what it is worth I don't plan on doing any crazy overclock, probably about a 10% increase to a 3770k.

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

It's easier to overclock two sticks than four because overclocking two sticks requires less voltage than four. So as long as your power supply is big enough, you won't need to worry about it.

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

Ah thanks for the response, I'd forgotten about this thread. I did end up returning the 4x4 and picked up 2x8 instead - dropped down to 1600 too, decided I don't have any interest in overclocking the RAM really. Pretty happy with the decision, actually made £10 reselling the original RAM because of the current market prices! Just need to build this damn PC now...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube