add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is watercooling needed and trustworthy?

cavemanpc

79 months ago

so this is my current build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/cavemanpc/saved/1twb

I'm planning on building my first computer (4 months down the line, still saving the rest of the money), it will be used for both photo editing and gaming , mainly guild wars 2 was the motivation to build a computer as my current will not run it.

I am new to everything and was wondering how much better a water cooling cpu heatsink would be vs fan, at the moment I have my eye on a Coolermaster Hyper 412S, but I could pick up a corsair water cooled for around the same price (H50 i think).

My only worry being are they reliable or can they leak and destroy your components?, because this is a big investment as I am a unemployed student.

any help much appreciated :)

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as the cooler is closed loop (not custom water cooling), yes it is generally worth is if you want cooler temps.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

so the H40 or 50 would be a better choice? also I may try overclocking to 4.5 , if this makes any difference?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

so the H40 or 50 would be a better choice? also I may try overclocking to 4.5 , if this makes any difference?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

H50

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Get an H60, the H50 is outdated.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Just checked your build and availability in uk. I'm surprised by the price of air coolers. Corsair makes some decent aio water cooler, but H50 is one of the low-end product. I don't find the price for H50 in uk, but H55 is £52. Look at other cooler around that price range, R U KIDDING ME?? NZXT HAVIK 140 for £48.49, and Noctua NH-D14 for £54.11??? Both of them have similar performance as H80/H100, which means they are far superior than H50.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

0.o and far superior to the cooler master i was looking at?

they re a bit eye sore, just had a quick search, i know its more about performance than look, but trying to get both in the same system, if you know of any other heatsinks?, also thank you for the advice so far guys :)

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

If you aim at 4.5ghz oc, you will need some decent cooler.

Top air: Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E/Extreme edition

Noctua NH-D14

Phanteks PH-TC14PE has lots of colors: white, blue, orange, red

NZXT Havik 140

Top aio water: Corsair H110, H100i, H90, H80i

NZXT Kraken X40 / X60

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme / Pro

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Some other top-tier air coolers include the Tuniq Tower120 Extreme, Noctua NH-C14, Xigmatek Dark Knight II, and CoolerMaster TPC-812.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

the Xigmatek Dark Knight SD-1283 Night Hawk Edition matches my budget and should fit the colour scheme, will it handle the 4.5 overclock tho?

• 79 months ago
  • 2 points

With ease. The Dark Knight II is an excellent choice and is on sale for $35 right now. I would get it now if I were you.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Here read this article it should answer all of your questions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/water2.0-extreme-kraken-x40-hydro-h90-elc120,3434.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube