add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is Water cooling Necessary

johnnyboy1121

77 months ago

Hi, I was wondering weather water cooling is worth it? I am trying to build a decent gaming pc on a budget, but my friend says that you HAVE to buy a liquid cooler. (he has no budget and no spending limits so he only buys the best, but then he tries to tell people that the other stuff sucks, which it doesn't it just might not be as good. As long as my cpu doesn't overheat i'm happy.

Can Someone please help me?

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 5 points

Your friend sounds pretty pretentious. I wouldn't give credence to what he says. Liquid cooling is a solution that's really only reserved for certain scenarios, because it's got poor price-for-performance compared to air cooling.

If you've got no budget, prioritize extreme overclocking, live in an extremely hot area, move the PC around a lot (like a LANbox), or have poor airflow, then water-cooling is something you should consider. Otherwise, air-cooling will work just as well.

Edit: And if you really want the best, you wouldn't just buy a liquid cooler, you'd assemble a custom loop yourself. You'd be able to cool any components you want (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs, etc) and still achieve lower temperatures. It gets pretty expensive though.

• 77 months ago
  • 3 points

I have a CM Hyper 212 Evo and because I do not plan to extreme overclock, it keeps the temps cool on my 3570K with a mild overclock. Most air cooler will do a good job cooling at stock. Some of the more expensive ones, like the Noctua D14 do a great job cooling with a significant overclock.

Do you need water cooling, probably not. It looks cool, works well and all the cool kids are doing it, so its popular. Does having my CPU overclocked really benefit me in the long run? Nope. It lowers component life and does not provide a significant benefit over stock. I think FrankV01 put it best when he said we overclock because it amuses us to do so. And that has a price too. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

To answer your question, NO! The majority of the time your factory CPU heatsink is all you need. Aftermarket heatsinks are even more effiecient and can out perform most low to mid level self-contained water cooling heatsinks. But when you factor in cost, stay with air cooled heatsinks.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/water2.0-extreme-kraken-x40-hydro-h90-elc120,3434.html

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

No.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

The only way water cooling can beat air cooling is if you do a custom loop. There have been reports that some of corsairs after market water coolers have leaked and screwed up peoples computers. If you want to find amazing and good quality air coolers, check out Phanteks' products.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube