add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1000 vs 750 vs 850 watt

custombuilding
  • 70 months ago

ok i plain on buying a power supply from evga. i will be buying a r9 290 and might upgrade to another later on. i also will be using an and 8320 processor, over clocked. after this i then might add g10 to the 290 with 2 single 140 water coolers from cosair. how big of a power supply would i need for all this.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say EVGAs 850g2 would do the trick. Their 750g2 would work too, but it's always nice to have that little extra.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

do you know how much wattage i would have left over tho i don't want to cheap out on my power supply i will buy the 1000 if its the better choice

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, put your entire build into PCPartPicker and it'll tell you the max wattage it will use when under full load. Put that in an pick a PSU accordingly. With a 8320/290 + The rest of the system I'm guessing it'll use around 500 Watts when 100% maxed out. So technically the 850g2 will do fine as Water Coolers only use a few watts each. If you feel uncomfortable and wanna buy a 1000w, go for it.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for your comment, and your right 850 would be enough but if i have to pay around 40 more for a evga gold 1000watt fully modular i think i might. it also has a 10 year warranty.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

All amd card manufacturers list 1000w required for dual cards of that series. There's a reason for that...

• 70 months ago
  • 0 points

Honestly if he was using an intel cpu i wouldn't be against 850w for dual 290s.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, 850w would be much more realistic then. I'd still go 1000w though since it looks like this system is likely going to be even further modded over time with what they are talking about doing. Those amd cpu/gpu systems are heavy power users though

• 70 months ago
  • -1 points

AMD CPUs like the 8320 can and will pull serious power when overclocked. 290s will pull around 300-330ish max overclocked each, and each clc will add something like 10 to maybe 15 watts with the fan. I'd personally go with a 1000w.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube