add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about semi modular PSU

Darkcure
  • 70 months ago

Can I get away with using a semi modular PSU with this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NwpRgs

Im new to building so I guess what Im saying is, I want the minimal amount of cables on my PSU to supply what I'm building. If you think I might need to buy more cables then ill probably just go non-modular and zip tie it hardcore behind the mobo.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Modular doesn't mean fewer cables. They have just as many cables as non-modular, just fewer (or none) physically attached to the PSU out of the box. Instead they come in a little bag inside the box, and you pick and choose which cables you need for your parts while leaving the rest unattached.

For example, a Corsair AX760, HX750, and TX750 all have the same connections. The difference is the TX is non-modular, HX is semi-modular, and AX is fully modular.

Fully modular = nothing is permanently attached. Use what you need and plug them into the PSU wherever you want (barring some keyed cables like the 24-pin). No unused cables getting in the way.

Semi-modular = all connections required for PC operation are permanently attached, but peripheral connections are not permanently attached. Plug any peripheral connectors you need anywhere you want. No unused cables getting in they way, but less flexibility in cable placement and some impact on aesthetics.

Non-modular = everything is attached, whether you need it or not. Will very likely have unused cables that you cannot get rid of.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube