add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help choosing PSU for my first build!

ImYourChrist
  • 69 months ago

Hey folks!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Qrsw7P

This is what i have got so far. I'm still unsure what PSU i should get. I plan OCing the cpu to a safer 4.1-4.2ghz maybe. No plan on sli for now. Also a little led lighting (maybe bitfenix alchemy) and gonna have 3 fans, i am still not sure, got to do my research on that. Just told these so you could help me to choose a psu that this build could run with safe and quiet. I want reliable brand but i already "overkilled" few parts therefore my budget is pretty tight. Would you help me to choose the best bang-for-buck PSU? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you going to get another 760 at some point in the future? Also, EVGA is my go-to brand for Power supplies. Cheaper than corsair and typically higher rated than NZXT Power supplies. Not to mention just about all of their power supplies are 80+ Gold certified.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.. Thanks for asking i forgot to add no plan on sli for a long time i think. The 760 itself is already overkill. But i decided to save more and get it. The evga psu's are cheaper than corsair? Hm i don't know i compare prices here and corsair psu's seem to be pretty aggressive on pricing. what makes a 80+ gold psu much better than a 80+ bronze? I'm laic to this. I know "efficiency" but what does that exactly mean? These gold cert. psu's seem to be quite more expensive i would like to know why it's good investing in that one? Thanks for the reply!

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

They are usually modular, meaning you can plug in to the PSU which cables you are using and just leave out the ones you don't need. This helps a lot with cable management. Efficiency is a little bit harder to explain. A high efficiency means it will use less power when it is not needed, and it can use more of it's maximum power. (I think that's it...) As it says efficiency: >92% (example) You may need to look it up. I'm nowhere near an expert on PSUs when it comes to efficiency. This is a little off topic, but might I ask what the 760 is going to be used for?

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

To display graphics and stuff? But seriously. I've had enough of playing my favourite game (Lineage II) on the lowest settings and still experiencing lag etc all time. My current laptop is OK but it's not meant for gaming so i decided to work some overtime and save money for a system that can handle it on max settings, lagless. I know it isn't a demanding game, i could have gone for less powerful parts, starting with the cpu or the gpu, but i tried to go with every part on a way it is future proof and a little "better" than what i need, rather than a little "worse". I also plan to give a try to other games as finally i will have a competitive gaming machine, such as Starcraft 2, or other RPG games, Guild Wars 2 etc. Also, i want to take a tour into the world of FPS gaming. It was pretty much chanceless until now, i only ever played shooters on my consoles as my pc could never handle them. BF4 or CS:GO, i don't know. Whatever i will find fun to play. Damn what a long answer, so anyway, this is what i need the 760 for. No plan on rendering or modeling in the close future and i also won't play Crysis 3 on ultra or whatever.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, just curious. Have a nice day. :)

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

You too, mate. And thanks for the enlightenment! I will do my homework about power supplies but damn, it's so boring. I am somehow not convinced why to spend 20-40 pounds more on a psu that gonna save me 2.5 pounds a year on electricity but hey, i might be wrong.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube