add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer Shuts Down - PSU Problem?

milkman2500
  • 68 months ago

Hi,

I've been having a problem where my pc will completely shut down randomly during a game (and only during games). The first game was Max Payne 3. Whenever I would launch it from steam, it would shut down my pc and I'd have to turn off the PSU switch, wait then turn it back on for the pc to actually start. Now the problem is with FIFA 14 through Origin. If I change the settings for the game to Low, windowed and low resolution, the game starts and runs fine. But once I get into the medium graphic settings the game will completely shut down my pc similar to Max Payne 3. I'm thinking it's a PSU problem. I downloaded HWMonitor and checked my voltages for the 12v, 5v and 3.3v. I'm not that familiar with PSUs and voltages, but after some reading on the web I think the 3.3v is running low. It's max is 3.1 v and the low gets down to 1.24 v. The 12v and 5v never drop below their respective targets.

I just reinstalled windows onto the SSD and installed all drivers fresh. This problem occurred before and after the reinstall.

My setup:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/milkman2500/saved/8V89TW

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (not overclocked) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2 Memory: Gskill ripjaws x series 16gb (2x8) DD3-1600 Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 120gb + WD Caviar Black 2TB Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic Case: Fractal Design Define R4 PSU: EVGA 750w ATX12v/EPS12v

Any ideas?

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube