add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Several "surge protection shutdowns" in a single day.

sabybe01
  • 70 months ago

I have an ASUS motherboard with surge protection built in, and several times today, this feature was put to use, shutting down the computer and warning me that a power surge had been detected. I have been extra careful about this, and even have the PC plugged into an external surge protector, which is then hooked to the wall outlet.

My power supply is a 600w corsair (non-modular). There were no lightning storms, high static, or any other unusual circumstance throughout the day.

I've heard horror stories of PSUs dying and taking the whole PC with it. This is my first build and its my baby! Does the power supply need replaced, or could it be a problem with the on-board surge protection reading surges that simply aren't there?

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Surge protectors have a lifespan. If older than five years and/or your home has encountered power issues with that surge protector, it may be dead/dying/defective...
  • Read your mobo manual of the surge protection feature. If feature deals with sags as well as spikes, then there is nothing the surge protector can do, since it is only designed/manufactured to handle spikes.
  • You can check your voltage readings through your CMOS/BIOS menu. If out of allowed specification, replace.
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Replace your surge protector strip with a new one and see if the issue persists. As warlock said, they have a life span and eventually fail.

If you have another psu, you can try it and see what happens, but otherwise, rule out as much as possible before buying a new one. It may be sags as he said, or it may be other issues.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

At this point, I have the computer hooked directly to the wall outlet. For a while, the issue seemed to have gone away, but after a couple hours, it started up again.

The MoBo manual doesnt go into much detail about the surge protection, and simply states that it "protects from an unstable PSU."

I installed CPUID, and the voltages for the motherboard seem to be within the recommended ranges. (although the 12v reading seems a bit low, hovering around 11.6)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube