add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to identify faulty component

DodecPCs
  • 71 months ago

Hello everyone. I run a Hackintosh (this build to be exact: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/hNRBD3 although since I have added a fan controller and another 240GB SSD.) It kept ******** out on me in terms of freezing and crashing and I thought this was a software problem so I downloaded a spare copy of Windows 8.1. Everything was working good but the same kind of thing happened on this OS.

I feel as though there is a hard ware error now. Both of my OS's are on a 120GB SSD on separate partitions. I know the RAM isn't the problem because I have run multiple tests on it in OS X. If there are tests to diagnose the part malfunctioning tell me and I will try. If you feel like you know what it is suggest and I will investigate farther, I am kind of lost.

Ask any questions you need to help, thanks.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Need better explanation of the conditions of freezing and crashing, and the symptoms of said freezing and crashing. Also assume you run good AV and no pirated software etc.

Seems like your PSU is up to snuff but you may have gotten a bad one. Either way I'd have a look at reported voltages.

CPU temp doesn't appear to be the problem. I'd try removing the video card and running the system with the onboard video.

How does SMART and any other available diagnostics look on the SSD?

And like everyone else said.... figure out how to make it "**** out", whatever that means, then progressively remove components and do that. When it stops, and you can put the component back in/on and it does it again, you have it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

What happens is, it will freeze the graphics and the audio skips. On Windows it will restart itself but on OS X I have to hard shut down.

I am running all good software. I am actually very new to Windows so where can I find the diagnostics and reported voltages for the SSD and PSU?

Thanks for your reply!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Hwmoniter for component voltages.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

He means "hwmonitor" which is a software you can download that will read voltages and temperatures, and is commonly used to monitor temperature when stress testing (which is also used during overclocking).

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes..

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

"And like everyone else said.... figure out how to make it "**** out", whatever that means, then progressively remove components and do that. When it stops, and you can put the component back in/on and it does it again, you have it."

Well... the downside to this theory is if it's the PSU, isn't it? Then again, I plan to start keeping a spare on hand, just in case it really IS the power supply, at least I can swap to verify even if I can't do the "remove and see if it does it". LOL.

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Based on your last description, its your power supply. Before I looked at your build, I read your problem.. and I thought "Hm. I wonder if he has a corsair power supply". lol. yep.

Had the same problem with a corsair. Exact. Had another one die in the middle of an OS install. Terrible quality control.

You know I like the design of their supplies, cable management and all, but they really conk out on people a lot.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, should I do some research and check the voltages it is running at so I have evidence if I were to submit a warranty claim? Or should I just call them right up. Because I don't want it to blow on me.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I would call them up and not waste time. If they have any suggestions then give them a try. I popped over to the Corsair forums, power supply thread and there's a lot of complaints there. One called "new pc build constantly freezing" describes this problem. The guy replaced nearly everything and his last post was that he was getting a new PSU. That was the last of his posts.

I would call and arrange to RMA. Unless you have another power supply you can pop in and test, you really just have to go on faith that your problem is the PSU because others have had a very similar or same experience.

Good luck.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, you probably have a bad power supply.

You may not find it is as it may be an "under load only" kind of problem, but here is how to manually test a power supply: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm

As for the comments about Corsair, bah! All the PSUs are made in two or three factories in the same processes and just branded one thing or another. And you can collect plenty of stories of people who have Corsair PSUs that work perfectly -- the one in the computer I'm currently using being one. You can also probably collect stories of bad ones for every other brand. It happens when you sell millions on millions of something a year. Suck it up, buttercup.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you I will do this because of the overwhelming evidence. I do not have another power supply.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Pick up this deal to fix it for now, if it fixes it RMA the other. When the RMA unit comes back, switch it back in to make sure it's good. Then keep this one as backup.

Linky: Sorry, deal looks expired. Finding another.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Pick up A deal. LOL.

Either a CX430 for $25, and run the system without the video card until you get your RMA unit back. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Alternately, go CX600 and you can run the whole system no problem... now that I see it's actually $35 after promo code and rebate I'd probably do that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Good luck!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Unplug the new components one at a time and test. Then you will know which component it is

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

These components are 4 months old, I have been having the problem for this long.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

rebuild it by taking it apart and connecting the chords again

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I did this the other day. Still same problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube