add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD Filling by itself?

DodecPCs
  • 71 months ago

Hello, I have just recently installed Windows 8.1 on my SSD (which has two partitions one for OS X and one for 8.1) The 8.1 partition has 55 GBs because I was just going to keep the OS on there and everything else like games (which is all I am using Windows for) on another 120 GB partition.

So last night I had 8.6 GB of free space and I log on today and I have 32MB. I have tried dumping the Windows update back up files, but that doesn't seemed to have done anything. It is filling up by itself and I don't know why. Please help.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

Try moving your temp file location to your storage drive. Control panel/system/advanced system settings/advanced/environment variables then scroll down and edit TEMP. Mine is set to D:\TEMP, D is my storage drive.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That did not do anything sadly. I am trying to figure out what suddenly took up my space and get rid of it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Your RAM periodically caches on your SSD, so you depending on how much RAM you have, that amount of space will periodically fill itself up. The only really good solution is to just not fill up your SSD to the point where you have less than 20GB-30GB left. SSDs will slow down dramatically once they reach about 90% full.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 32 GBs of RAM soooo lol

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That'd do it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube