add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Crazy Concept

Jrobbm

73 months ago

... Well even though i spent months Planning my Build( and not even started it) I have decided a few choices were not the best in terms of looks rather than performance...

Namely... the CPU Cooler... the Big Chunk of metal Just does not fit into the build... and the RAM Color wise... This is not about my build though...

This is about Painting Heat Sinks...

Crazy Concept i know... However Before you Tell me I am insane... (which i am)

Read this (nut shell He set up an experiment and Painting actually increased the Cooling effect.)

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=46321

So I thought it would be a Cool talking point... if it does not effect Cooling... would people be more inclined to try it?

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I have looked into painting motherboards myself, but have been pretty much roadblocked when it comes to choosing the right kind of paint/dye. You want a paint that doesn't warp or crack when it gets warm and cool inside a case and you want one that can withstand high temperatures, as well as a paint that is fluid enough to apply on thinly, while still achieving a good coat. Also, you're looking for non-conductive paints as most will have some kind of metal in it one way or another, but I guess that doesn't apply if you were only painting the heat sinks, but still...

In the end, it was simply easier for me to choose a motherboard that didn't look like rainbow barf.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

For the Heat Sinks I have picked out some paints... going to have a go painting the CPU Cooler when i get back in the country. I should really do some Temp checks before i do it however as nothing is built yet It would be easier for me just to try it...

If it totally messes it up... then I guess i can get the Water Cooler I was after anyway lol

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck! When your done, could you share some pics? :D What kind of paints did you pick out by the way?

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I chose this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009LHARCO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Im hoping the Pearl will add a nice effect.

Just a light coating.

Defiantly doing the top plate... Not sure if i want to coat the copper heads though... Considering letting the wife do a little Design on the top too... With the Rigs Name.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your part list?

EDIT: Really just curious about what mobo/cpu cooler you have.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is the Link

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Xc1c

However for Ref: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Enermax ETS-T40-TB 86.7 CFM CPU Cooler

Dude, You have a Lovely Build. Be good to see some more internal shots of the cable management. Looks Amazing clean though. I do love your Mobo, the Yellow Lines are great.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I kinda thought about this when I wanted to get the yellow highlights off the heat sinks on my Z77 MPOWER, but in the end it was fine.

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

No way the yellow lines are great. Bumble Bee esq.

If anything you need more Yellow Highlights lol.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I will take that into consideration :D I'm planning on LC soon, so perhaps I will have some yellow highlights on the fans or something.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube