add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

H100i, H110, or Kraken x61?

MainManMilez
  • 68 months ago

The real question is price/performance. The x61 is the most expensive, but is it that much more worth it? Also, I know that the larger the rad, the quieter, but I don't know how much that really matters to me, as I have an H440, which is supposedly a silent case. So, which is the best? I'd like to know from someone who has had a couple of those. So here's a list of constraints:

• i7 3770k overclock to 4.2-4.5
  • NZXT H440
  • Quiet as possible, but must be very noticeable difference.
  • Price/performance

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 7 points

Hello mate, I was in the same boat as you afew weeks ago, but I've done TONS of research and made TONS of calls to Corsair and Nzxt about this. Get the Kraken x61, look everywhere, you will not find a benchmark that shows the Corsair H100i cooling better than the Kraken x61. In fact, the Kraken x40's cooling is comparable to the H100i's.

Now, knowing theres a lack of airflow in the H440, I decided to Opt for Static Pressure Optimized fans. These fans are made to pull/puah air through an object where as Air-Flow optimized fans are made for to intake air from or exhaust air into an open space.

If you want quiet and high performance, get the Kraken x61 AND get these fans:

Bitfenix Fans

Here's a comparison list for them vs. the next few top competitors:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/bitfenix-case-fan-bffsprop14025wwrp%2Ccorsair-case-fan-co9050009ww%2Cnoctua-case-fan-nfp14sredux1200pwm%2Cnzxt-case-fan-rffz14002/

They have DOUBLE the air flow of the Corsairs, high static pressure than the noctuas and are barely louder than the corsairs, and since the H440 is full of sound impeding foam, they shouldn't be loud at all.

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

Don't pay attention to manufacturer rated specs when it comes to fans. The truth is there is no standardized method for testing static pressure, noise, and airflow employed by manufacturers. Everyone does it differently, so their numbers are almost never directly comparable. Instead you'd be better off reading fan roundups or reviews from sites that use the same method for testing each fan to actually get comparisons.

Even with good static pressure fans the h440 is a toasty case. I'm using noiseblocker eloops as my front intakes (comparable to gentle typhoons) and I still see around 5-7C temp difference between my front panel on and off.

• 67 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I think I'm going to save a little more for the Kraken. I like Noctua fans, but they're expensive. I have a NF-F12 on my current Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, and it works great, it would just be way too expensive to get two more 140mm fans from them. I've never really heard of BitFenix being good for much more than the Prodigy, so these fans will definitely be worth looking into.

• 67 months ago
  • 3 points

Problem is your case.

The h440 is really restrictive for the front intakes, making CPU temperatures particularly warm I've noticed in my own usage. That being said, I'd still get the h100i. Fact is you're going to get the overclocks you want within temp limits with any of those coolers, so why pay extra?

One suggestion I'd make is to switch your rear exhaust fan to being an intake. In the testing I've done with my own using an H100i, Kraken x61, and H105 it drops temperatures by at least 3 or 4C because of the front intake restriction.

EDIT: seeing as how the h105 is only 10 bucks more, I'd probably get either of those two. The h105 will run cooler but you'll need to run the fans off your motherboard and control using the mobo software, the h100i will run a little warmer but you'll be able to control fan speeds via link and you can change the led color.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

One suggestion I'd make is to switch your rear exhaust fan to being an intake.

Agreed, but make sure you filter it. Fan Grate and Filter

• 68 months ago
  • 2 points

Each of those coolers should have no problem at the clock-speeds that you're looking at, but the corsair fans are certainly louder (at least in my experience). If you want to go ahead and replace the fans with quieter static pressure fans, then it'd be good. As for the NZXT fans, I don't really know much about them, but they seems decently quiet.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

With regards to noise, they can be turned down to near silent via Corsair link

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but if they do need to ramp up to cool down the CPU during intensive loads, they'll still get fairly loud. It'll be even worse if the ambient temperature of the room is high as well. I suppose he'd have to look up some comparisons to make sure.

• 68 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes, but any quiet fan is sacrificing performance. It's really a matter of preference: higher performance or lower noise?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the Corsair SP120 Quiet Editions on my rad and they're dead silent even at near full speed - so that isn't always the case if you pick the proper fans.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

yep those SP120's are awesome and not to pricey especially if you get the 2 pack..

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here, I replaced my SP120L fans on my H100i with Corsair SP120 quiet fans. I agree they are completely silent. But you can achieve similar results by turning the RPM down sufficiently.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I posted this to a similar question:

I have a H110 in my 450D. I mounted it vertically in the front intake with 140mm fans in push / pull configuration. My CPU is overclocked and this cooler works awesome. Idle it is between 27 and 30 degrees Celsius. It doesn't go over 60 degrees Celsius for anything I do. I have run Prime95 for quite a few hours and I think the highest it got was 75 degrees Celsius under full load. I will also add that I am using Cougar case fans and the sound from them is low; very acceptable to me.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, which prime95 test did you run? The most heat?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't remember which one I ran, but it was stressing my CPU and memory to the max.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

And what about the noise of the H110?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing that I can hear.

• 58 months ago
  • 0 points

NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Honestly though, considering the real world benefits of overclocking are rather limited, and overclocking in general is more of a hobby. I'd go with the h100i for $90 assuming you HAVE to get liquid cooling. The gains over the 80i are decent per the price difference. The 110 differences are minimal and if you're spending over $100 you're getting closer and closer still to affording a custom loop.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube