add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Radiator Fans - Intake or Exhaust?

bsballc831

76 months ago

So I have the H100i in my computer. The fans are currently in a push configuration as exhaust taking air out of the case. I installed them like this at the time I built my machine because heat rises. They have seemed to work reasonably well (about 38C or 39C idle) like this considering I have the i7-3930K.

My question is, is there any rule of thumb as to if the fans should be installed as intake(taking cooler air from outside the case) or exhaust(using the warmer air inside the case)? If I were to flip them around to intakes, is it okay to only have the 1 exhaust fan on the back of the case? Thanks everyone!

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Typically exhaust is the preferred choice. You don't want to blow hot air over your other components for slightly better CPU cooling. Besides, its the same air an air cooler would use and they can be very effective. Just make sure you have enough intake fans so nothing gets choked of cool air.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help. I was just wanting a confirmation that I was thinking about it right.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

As stated by Djangosp2, you are probably better off with it set as exhaust. However I recommend you to turn it into a pull configuration, so it would be easier for you clean off the dust when it builds up. <- (it would be a bit noisier tho, so it depends on personal preference)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I originally had them in pull but switched them to push to get the noise level down a tad bit. I was also toying with the idea of picking up a couple more fans and doing a push/pull configuration.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube