add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2nd opinion for GPU choice

aidzbelty

59 months ago

I posted a topic earlier in the Parts Lists Opinions asking about two GPU choices ( http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/54187-opinions-for-carry-on-gaming-build ), yet I feel I could get better replies in this section instead.

Planning a mITX build with these parts ( http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TdsWK8 ), and all that's left is the GPU. Choices are between GeForce GTX 970 and Radeon R9 290x, though I am still wondering if these are overkill for the specs listed above or will the performance be bottlenecked.

I am planning to play 720p/1080p Ultra/Very High settings on recent game titles if that would help.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

970- better performance, lower watt draw meaning less heat, good blower design so less heat would go in your case.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah when I checked the wattage computation for overclocking I would reach up to 500W with just the 970 and 625W for the r9 290x under full load. Think I will stick to the 970, thanks. =)

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, gee if you are playing at 720p you could do ultra (or very high) setting on a GTX 750 ti. And, that also holds for only a few less games at 1080p as long as 40-50 fps is okay with you.

I suppose to future proof your purchase, you could go with a MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC or a EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR. That's a GTX 760 with 4GB of video ram...I have not played with either card, but they are compact for an ITX build and only $230-$250.

Me? I'd go with the GTX 750 ti. Its small, power efficient, inexpensive and will play games just fine on the road. I'd just make my ITX road-warrior box as small and power efficient as possible...but that's just me.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooh, that would be another consideration - looking up the reviews right now. Thanks!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube