add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
max_carnage

58 months ago

I'm trying to create a RAID 10 on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. I have an SSD boot drive and want to just set up a RAID with nothing on it. All the instructions I find show how to create a RAID with the OS installed on it. Anyone know anywhere I can get instructions for what I'm looking for? or is it even possible??

Ron

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

1. Your SATA ports have to be configured in RAID mode. Many Motherboard come configured in IDE mode for compatibility with older hard drives.
a. If you have to change this, you will have to re-install windows as the drivers it installs are based on this value. There is a way around this by modifying the registry beforehand though. It still needs to install the drivers for the RAID mode.
2. When you boot there will be some key combination you strike to bring up the RAID manager. Refer to manual, but on many boards it is [ctrl] + [i].
3. You will have to select the drives you wish to be in the Raid volume and you have to specify the RAID type and the stripe size. This stripe size is usually determined by what data you are storing. Leaving the default will be fine, but you can google it to get some suggestions depending upon your use.
4. When you finish booting into windows you will have to partition the new volume in Disk Manager. Don't choose the default Partition type as the size is > 2TB. Choose "GPT" instead.
5. Profit!

Keep in mind that some motherboard add SATA ports by adding a second SATA controller to a board. Chipsets limit the number of ports so if they want more than the chipset supports they have to do so. I don't believe you can "RAID" across the two controllers so all the drives will need to be plugged into ports that go to one controller. You should know this is an issue from the manual, and many times the extra ports are labeled different or a different color. (Grey instead of black or some such). Don't worry about this too much, it is actually pretty easy once you go through the steps it can be done in a matter of minutes. You can probably install "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" to view volume health info in windows. Hope this helps! (ASRock actually has a separate manual for RAID here: ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/raid/Z77%20Extreme4/English.pdf)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Great help!! Thanks, I now have a 4TB Raid 10 drive. Thanks for the help!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW! That was fast, congrats max_carnage!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/BkjcCJ

You can see the machine here, not sure why there aren't any comments on it yet. A little disappointing... :-(

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I have (4) 2 TB hard drives.....

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

correct

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Software raids are slower...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube