add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SSD options

Napro

58 months ago

I'm trying to look for a suitable SSD for building my PC only have the motherboard picked out so far ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer.
I've been leaning towards getting an SSD alone, I do have a 1TB external hard drive that I could use for storing songs and videos. I really just plan on this storage to be suitable for fast read, decent write, and fast boot speed with sufficient temperature. Sound is important but its about a 6/10 on my priority scale. I could go with a small (60-120GB) SSD and possible 500 GB HDD, to fill my needs for an average storage sized computer with fast speeds. But I'd like to hear your opinions on my SSD choices, yeah quite a price range but I'm trying to focus on quality versus price so thats why I have this range... *$115 SanDisk Ultra II 240 GB, *$118 Samsung 850 Pro 128 GB, *$190 Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB, *$210 Crucial MX100 512 GB. *newegg prices 10/21

Let me know your thoughts, also I haven't decided on my cooling setup yet. In between h2o and air, thoughts on that would be appreciated too.

EDIT: I'm realizing now that if I went under 220 GB I would most definitely need a HD or another SSD down the road as I maintain that storage with moderate care/attention to deleting unused files, programs, videos, etc.. I also plan on keeping this drive for a long time as I have upgrade potential constantly in the front of my focus. If I did upgrade I'm sure I could still use a solid SSD as a boot drive or whatever, the motherboard I want to get has 10 slots.. Got to take advantage of that at some point 5-10 years down the line.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I really go wrong with a 10 year warranty on a SSD? I'm leaning more towards possibly getting an HD with these options, thinking about possibly ignoring the Crucial MX100 and focusing on a 100-260 GB SSD with maybe one of these 2 HDs? $55 Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bare Drive or $60 Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bare Drive. Thoughts cont.?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing wrong with SSD + HDD combination. Majority of the users have their systems set up that way. The hard drives to hold data and the SSD for operating system and software. I use a Samsung 840 Pro + multiple HDDs in my primary system.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Me too, Samsung SSD with a Toshiba 1 TB HD, works perfectly and only has a 7-8 second boot time.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

This is a great config. Grab something cheap and reasonably fast like an MX100 256GB for the OS and some important programs, and a 1TB WD blue or Seagate Barracuda for bulk. If you want to go purely SSD, I'd get the MX100 512GB or an 840 EVO 500GB. As for cooling, how does it have anything to do with storage?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooling knowledge was just a slightly off topic question since cooling and cpu are what I'm looking to find next. I'm thinking that I'm narrowing my decision down to $140 Crucial M550 256GB SSD and the $75 WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive for a total of about $215. Im considering the extra $20 for the M550 as opposed to the MX100 as it appears to have a better bench mark and sufficiently higher write speed (I don't know how important that actually is though). Still open to change though.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

That sounds like a good combo. I honestly can't tell the difference between my friend's speedy 840 evo 250GB and my slow A-data SP600 128GB, as it's only 1 or 2 seconds different, so you probably won't notice the difference between those SSDs. That said, if having something fast is what you want, then the M550 is a good choice, it beats the 840 evo and comes close to the 840 pro, while falling slightly behind the more expensive 850 pro.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Great combos. SSDs in general are so fast that the console pheasents would think they were above 30fps :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube