add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's the difference between 1TB HDD brands?

barly

60 months ago

Is there really a big difference between the different 1 TB HDD? I'm trying to save money on my build and was thinking of downgrading my seagate barracuda to a hitachi one. Will I lose out on something if I do this?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 3 points

A Seagate to a Hitachi is NOT a downgrade. In a year, 15% of Barracuda 1TB fails compare to 1% Hitachi. If anything it's a realiability upgrade.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

I shipped back a DOA new seagate 1TB...I wished I saw those stats before. Waiting for my replacement Hitachi to come in.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

oh just assumed it was because i saw one being sold for 25$ last week and thought it was one of the lower brands. must have been a sale cause the price is up now.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow a 1TB Hitachi for $25? Damn that would've quite a deal.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Even an older sata2 model is very cheap at that price... Should have gotten it

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Any item can be DOA. I know it's frustrating when it happens to you, but that doesn't mean the rest of the examples of that product are rubbish. WD, Hitachi, they all have some DOAs sent out.

Now, I am not saying I agree with this article, but it's usually worthwhile presenting another side to discussion, here.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If anything go for a caviar blue 1tb as they are extremely relaible and have very good speeds.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get bad individual units of any brand, I've been building computers for years and only ever had one HDD failure. It was a WD caviar blue earlier this year, it caught fire, literally, scorch marks up the side of the case.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The established brands in HDD manufacture are all very similar; Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi (now owned by Western Digital) and Toshiba.

You will do better with 7200rpm spindle speed. You can get different SATA speeds but I don't think any mechanical drive reaches these limits anyway.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Never get a hitachi. I've had 3 fail in the first 2 months, and one DOA. Seagate fails a lot as well. I'd recommend a WD Caviar Blue. They are relatively cheap, perform very well, quiet, and are generally more reliable for a long-term build. I've had my WD for quite some time now and I've never had problems with it.

WD Caviar Black has a 5 yr warranty, performs best, but it is the loudest. The Caviar Blue performs almost as well for cheaper and more silently.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference? They are labelled different. If the specs are the same, i.e. spindle speed, size, areal density then the drives will be similar. You may have a brand preference but the actual performance difference is minimal. Get what is on sale and available in your market. This a is a commodity with everything that engenders.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

After reading all these I've come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna go with the cheapest which is seagate and take my chances with DOA and whatnot. Thanks for all the info!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube