add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Most powerful GPU without external power?

ThatsPoorlyDrawn
  • 67 months ago

I need to find a GPU that can play a few games like The Forest or equivalent games.. It would be on 720p, and the quality doesn't have to be that great. Just prefer no lag...this isn't for me (I've got GTX 760)..but for my brother's pc. He just want's a cheap GPU without external power needed. I heard the R7 240 was good for this...?

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The R7 240 is not a good card at all. Watch the LinusTechTips review of it, Linus just launches into a rant about how bad it is. The 750Ti from NVIDIA is a great card that uses no power not provided by the PCIe slot. There's even enough headroom to overclock considerably. The highest end AMD card without the need for external power is the R7 250X, so going with Team Green is going to be a good idea.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought the 750 ti needed power? That's why I hadn't considered it. I love Nvidia personally.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Some models can. I have the EVGA 750 Ti FTW, which takes an external 6-pin power connector. However, models like the EVGA 750 Ti SC don't.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

That's awesome! My brother was all down because he can't afford a new pc at the moment, but can afford a cheap gpu for his old computer. I think I will look into the R7 260x or 750 TI. Thank you!!

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The R7 260X requires external power. The 250X doesn't, but the 750Ti is better then the 250X.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhh. Well thanks for informing me! I think he'll end up getting the 750Ti anyways.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the EVGA GTX750 SC and it does not require extra power. In fact, it doesn't require 100% of the power provided on the pcie slot.

So getting the GTX750Ti would be good even though it requires a power connector it will not draw a lot more wattage.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I asked, is because his PC doesn't even have extra 4-6-8 pin connectors.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I that case, that leaves you with a limited selection of GTX750Ti (maybe some don't require power?) or a version of the GTX750

my suggestion would be to get a molex to 6-pins and some GTX750Ti. You'll draw power from the 12v rail assuming you have some power left for that use.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

The guy above said that some 750 TI's don't need external power. But the molex is a good idea. Thanks!!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

is it only for gaming? the EVGA GTX750 TI SC has more CUDA cores what is for rendering from videos. the EVGA GTX750 SC has more MHz what for gaming, I have the GTX750 and it runs good enough for me (playing gta V medium 1080p around 40/50 fps)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I solved this pike 6 months ago, ended up getting a R7 250 for about $60 with MIR. Totally worth it too. Thanks anyways!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube