add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Prospective first build (Schoolboy errors?)

robflixx

64 months ago

Looking to take the plunge on my first self-build: budget ~£850

After a couple of weeks deciding exactly what I want from my build I'm now in a position to start buying parts (maybe...) Here's where I have ended up: Prospective first build

Expectations

• Small-ish (see BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX)
  • Quiet
  • Media center
  • Gaming (steam box?)
  • Possibly some processor intensive tasks (e.g. kinetic modelling)

Questions

1. CPU cooler - looking at a few comparable builds most have opted for either:
    -Cheaper: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    -Liquid: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid or Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
    Not a huge price difference between my 'Noctua NH-D15' and the 'liquids' and am really gaining +£50 worth of quiet vs a '212 evo'?

2. Motherboard Got fairly lost here... I want something that fits in the case, hooks up to the external ports (usb 3.0 headers etc.), has WiFi and doesn't make my wallet cry. Is the Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 a good choice or could I do better?

3. Memory I have started to realize that the "low profile ram" is probably not required here. Also, 2x4GB vs. 1x8GB. Save me some money? (1x8GB might be nicer for future upgrading)

4. Storage Any reason for more than 240GB 'on board' storage if I have networked external hard drives?

5. PSU No clue: the Corsair 550W ATX12V / EPS12V, 550W seems enough, like the idea 80+ gold power saving Comments?

6. Fans Might be a stupid question: do I need any additional fannage for a build like this?

I'm happy with the case, GPU and CPU as it stands but everything else is up for the chop. Tbh I'd happily look at alternate case suggestions too.

Advice welcome, Rob

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's my opinion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £167.60 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £59.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI Z97I AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard £85.82 @ Amazon UK
Memory Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £54.72 @ CCL Computers
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £49.01 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card £267.99 @ Amazon UK
Case BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case £64.79 @ Aria PC
Power Supply SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £61.99 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £811.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 23:44 GMT+0000
  • 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Good job knocking £50 off the spend. My only hesitation with the HDDs is the noise (maybe I'm just assuming the worst). I like the look of the Patriot memory and clearly dual channel seems to be the way to go from earlier comments. I'll have to properly look into this PSU saga, 450W was where I started but maybe a 550W+ will give me more to play with if I want to recycle on build 2.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, your a motherboard of the current form factor will only be able to support 1 video card. So, I'd say that the current wattage will be more than sufficient. And don't you worry about the noise of the HDD, it really isn't that noticeable.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

That SSD is terrible. Like really really bad.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

i agree with previous comment get a better ssd and you should be good. and if you have a question about anything like the pus go to linus tech tips

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Shocking SSD storage choice, solid start. This is the information I needed. I'll check out linus tech tips now. Thanks

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU cooler is WAYYYYY overpriced... Ive got a £22 Hyper evo 212 and that thing can handle i7-4770K's

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

As an owner of the 212, how loud (if at all) is it?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

i cant hear it over my graphics cards fans put it that way, its almost silent even at full speed. If you did get the 212 i would suggest getting a second fan for so you have an intake and outtake on the heatsink

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

IIRC the round up comparisons the 212 evo is only a couple of degrees hotter/decibels louder than the noctua (d14 at the time I believe), so I'd prolly go for the evo instead of the spendy d15, you can always add some quieter fans later if it's overly loud.

Crucial ballistix sport is a few quid cheaper and very slightly lower (quicker) latency

Yeah v300 ssd had some issues a few months ago relating to poor performance due to switching to a different nand supplier, or something like that. Sandisk have a few models with good read/write as per the specs, 550/500 according to the overclockers buy page for this ultra II.

I usually steer clear of most corsair psus, most of them are made by a firm called cwt these days and they don't really have a stellar rep, they also tend to test their units at a lower temp which puts less strain on it & makes it easier to pass the tests...

Be quiet e9 is made by fsp who have a better rep than cwt I believe, check out the review of the 680w model at jonnyguru.com (prolly top psu review site) - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=269

psu manufacturer database - http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

mobo looks fine to me, and I agree about not needing a whole lot of storage if you've got a nas/whatever.

Case comes with 2 fans as per overclockers again, so... well I'm not a pc gamer tbh... maybe get a 200/230mm to put in the front and use the two 120mm for top exhaust?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £167.60 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £23.82 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard £105.59 @ Aria PC
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £56.83 @ Amazon UK
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £78.97 @ CCL Computers
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card £267.99 @ Amazon UK
Case BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case £64.79 @ Aria PC
Power Supply be quiet! 580W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £52.98 @ Ebuyer
Case Fan BitFenix BFF-BLF-23030B-RP 97.8 CFM 230mm Fan £16.02 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £834.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-07 00:22 GMT+0000
  • 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have a look at jonnyguru for PSU info tomorrow and see what exactly the space restraints are for fans on this case (pretty sure I watched a few conflicting youtube reviews for this case). Interesting angle on suppliers, I clearly have a bit more research to do before I start burning money. With the Christmas adverts having already started on TV, I should probably see if Santa is stocking CPU coolers this year before I make a final decision on one.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I've clearly got out of touch with gaming after a few years away. I wouldn't have guessed 40GB a game, I'll look bigger. With the motherboard if I was tempted by the prospect of OCing would I need to look into something more expensive? I'll see how these fans perform for volume and see if I need to look at replacing them with some nicer ones. Great help, Thanks.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube