add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Creating a Game Partition

wheelswilly

58 months ago

Hey guys, so I purchased two MX100 SSDs and a Seagate Barricua 1TB HDD for my gaming build. When everything came in, I was short in SATA cables by two, so I had to use the two SATA cables that I had for one SSD for the OS and all my initial stuff and the optical drive. Today the two additional SATA cables came in, and I have the other SSD and the HDD up and running without a hitch. So here's my question:

So since I've been on this computer for a few weeks before all my other storage devices were put in, I have program files and stuff on the first SSD. But I would like to have one of those SSDs fully committed to my games, and nothing else. And the rest of everything will stay on the original SSD, and I'll start using the HDD once both SSDs are filled. So is this even possible to do? I don't want to screw anything up and ruin my PC or anything.

*Most of my games are on Steam, Origin, or Uplay. The only game that is by itself is GW2.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know about Origin or Uplay, but at least with Steam you just move the game directory over and then set that as the proper directory to install games to within Steam, and you're good.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, they do it also. I have steam, origin, and uplay spread between 4 drives this way.

And don't fill the first ssd with Windows on it... You want it to have a good percentage of free space or it will slow down the system.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the info.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. It's useful knowledge to have. Everyone knows about steam, but not the others

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, not so much for me, since I despise the others, but useful for me to be able to help others out with :D

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Ya, I just have origin due to bf3 and bf4, and the origin humble bundle last year... Uplay was forced on me by watch dogs and fc3 blood dragon :/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube