add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best SSD Brands?

hunterawsm007

61 months ago

This is my first time purchasing an SSD, and I'm not sure what the right decision is. I'd like to know what the best brands are, along with the best specific drives. My main factors would be price, performance, and reliability. I am willing to give up performance for the price and reliability.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

A-DATA, Crucial, Intel, Samsung, Plextor, Sandisk, and Corsair are the most highly regarded. The only two I'd really avoid are Kingston and PNY, as they have been known to switch which NAND their SSDs use without warning, so it's hard to tell if you'll get a good drive.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the help!

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

This generation of drives seems to be very reliable. There's not much difference between brands when it comes to reliability. Speed is a function of config and size. A smaller drive will slower than a larger one. The sweet spot is 240/256gb. All the larger drives are hampered by the SATA bus itself.

All that means that the cards that are using the best controllers with the cheapest flash are the winners. That's why you'll see Samsung's EVO and Crucial's MX100 recommended a lot. The price per gb is the best on the market and you're not giving anything up to get it. It doesn't mean that the others are bad, just that they're more money for... nothing. I'd go with a MX100 if I was buying.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I was considering the Samsung, but I might go with the MX100 instead

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

There's nothing wrong Samsungs with the Pro being generally best-in-class but they're really expensive for what you get. The EVO's are much better priced but they use software tricks to make up the deficiencies of the cheaper TLC flash. Nothing wrong with that except some of the best tricks only work on one drive at a time. It's a kludge. A good one but still, I'd feel more comfortable on a drive that doesn't use tricks at all.

I have 2 MX100's and have no qualms about recommending them.

As for a general list, I'd stick with manufacturers. Why not? The rest aren't bringing much to the table. The manufacturers are: Samsung Micron (Crucial) Intel SanDisk Toshiba (OCZ)

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

My latest build (the Hydrogen) is using a Samsung 840 EVO as the primary OS drive. The pricing seems identical to the alternative Crucial MX100, while having higher performance. As you may have noticed I like Samsung SSDs!! Intel is also very good, but personally I prefer the Samsung ones.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Not an expert, but I built a PC with this SSD as primary storage. It's fast, it has been running 24x7 since March, and it has survived several sudden unplanned power shutdowns caused by some still-unknown system problem. I like it. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhp256gg25

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thank you for the input

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with the Crucial MX100 - the 256GB seems to be the sweet spot for the price. I have one on my laptop right now and planning to get one for my mini-ITX.

Sure it's not as fast as the Samsung 840 EVO but given that I don't have a UPS yet, the Power Loss Protection feature is nice to have as a backup plan when things go wrong unexpectedly..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube