add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whats the best random access storage backup media?

hhuey5

57 months ago

not floppies => a little more reliable than tape but who has floppy drives any more

not hard drives => mechanical breakdowns n limited lifespan 1-5 years

not cd\bluray => it rots in 5 to 20 yrs, it chemicals get weak, if cd you have to buy gold cd, not sure about bluray

not streaming tape => not guaranteed to have backed up even if compared was done, limited lifespan

not ssd => u have to adhere to the %20-30 OP to make it last, you have to make sure your computer has constant power or else a bad write dooms it, poor storage amount due to op, still expensive ... factor OP its like 70-80 cents a gb

so how about Flash Drives as a back up media, costs like 25-35 cents gb, 128gb is so cheap compared to SSD

ex: to back 14tb cost like 3900 compared to ssd costing 9000

what are your ideas? thanks in advance

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard Drives in RAID 1. Almost guaranteed to not lose data unless both drives fail at the same time.

• 57 months ago
  • -1 points

Use a bunch of SD cards in raid 9

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You can't raid SD cards

• 57 months ago
  • -1 points

Yes you can

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I learned the hard way w hard drives n so did someone w Crucial SSD raid array when drives purchased at the same time would all fail around the same time

btw, what did i miss to the comment you were responding?

gosh there are alot of raid arrays selling ... a four drive but at limit of 4tb each giving like 12tb storage would cost like 700 to 1100 or 3tb w sdd (expensive)

I think it'll take 2x18mns before ssd come down in price or if u spend the same price hopefully it will be 4tb at 550

ssd w op ... u need like 1.4tb drive to get 1tb storage space thats 770 dollars per tb

[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD require protection part that inversely means you need to buy more to get that much usable storage ie: 1tb/0.7=1.43tb ssd needed to get a 1tb ssd usable space

perhaps I did get a bad batch, I forgot if I got them warrantied

still I think flash drives make good offline storage and easily accessable

I suppose that two external raid at the same capacity would help backup things, one online and one off line.

The question is will the hdd be reliable for you every time its needed to be brought online.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube