add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Bang-for-Buck 400GB+ SSD Right Now

vikingXcore

57 months ago

Hi ladies and gents.

Looking into getting an SSD. Never had one before. Thought I'd take advantage of the sale.

Which one of these are the best bang-for-buck SSDs right now? I know Samsung 840 EVO/PRO get high marks, as well as PNY's XLR8 series, and some Crucial (not sure about this series) and Sandisk, but what's the absolute best in this lineup? Price takes priority, unless one has like an extra 5 years of longevity compared to the rest. I understand going up in price for a faster SSD, but only for noticeable increases. I hope this is enough info for what I need! Also, if there are any that I miss please let me know!

Sandisk Ultra II

A-Data Premier Pro SP900

Crucial MX100

PNY XLR8

Samsung 840 EVO

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go for the Crucial, the Sandisk or the Samsung drive. PNY has a not-so-good history of bait and switch marketing with SSDs, and the A-DATA drive is more of a budget drive, so performance isn't as good. The Sandisk is the best bargain if you ask me.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw some reviews for the PNY XLR8 being pretty good. From what some have said, Crucial, Sandisk, and Samsung were the top ones. I might get a Sandisk.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Among those listed above, the Samsung 840 Evo is likely the overall performance winner.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm sure it is. But I'm just trying to branch off and see what other people's experience with other brands were like. It's also the most expensive of the bunch, but the sale helps for sure.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

In order from best to meh.

Samsung, then crucial , then sandisk. You should stay away from the pny ssds.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up going for the Crucial since Samsung was a bit much and Sandisk was a bit slow. Also looked at OCZ, but dayuummmn so expensive.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The crucial one will not let you down. What ocz one where you looking at?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The Vertex 460. Went with the 240GB because the wiff said I didn't need 480GB for anything that important. :'( I want all of the SSD!!

Hopefully it was $90 well spent!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I want an ssd for everything to but there is really no point, I talked myself out of that one too.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Right now on Newegg 500 gig 840 evo is 180$,unbeatable deal

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube