add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler anxiety and 2 questions

Hammcd

71 months ago

So I am sure this question has been asked many times before:

I want to get an intel i7-4770k chip for my new computer...the chip without overclocking will be a huge upgrade for me.

I have never installed a cooler for a chip before and every computer I have owned (all bought from dell) have not had one. I am very nervous about gluing anything to the chip....i am very anal and am scared i will do damage somehow lol, so my questions are:

1. If I don't plan on overclocking immediately do i have to put a CPU cooler on the chip? I mean will it be damaged without using one from the beginning.

2. If i don't have to put one on immediately, is it possible to remove the chip from the motherboard later and put a CPU cooler on it then when I do decide to overclock?

thanks

oh and this is the build i am considering if it makes any difference: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19PuJ

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. You should only have to use the heatsink that comes with the CPU if you don't plan to overclock yet, although some are not really good even when not overclocked.

2. If you use the heatsink that comes with the CPU and want to add a better more expensive CPU cooler/heatsink later then yes you can remove the old heatsink, clean the old thermal paste off the surface of the CPU off and use new thermal paste for your new cooler, some aftermarket cooler's have thermal paste already on them like the heatsink you will get with the CPU, but either way the surface of the CPU will have to be cleaned first before replacing the cooler.

the cleaning of the CPU i don't know how to do but there are guides saying what you clean it with etc then applying the paste and aftermarket cooler instructions should come with the cooler.

Hope this helps :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

yes thanks for the reply...so no matter what , even with the heatsink that comes with the cpu, im gonna have to glue something on something else? if thats the case then i suppose i will get an aftermarket one to begin with

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

No worries :), and yeah you might as well spend a small extra on an aftermarket, then its better temperatures if your not overclocking but also ready for when you would like to overclock, make sure your motherboard is overclock capable (im not sure how to check this just ask about your motherboard in motherboard section), its not really "glued on", you have little slots/holes/brackets which go onto the motherboard then the aftermarket heatsink goes onto the CPU ( after you've added paste, paste is more like a barrier than a glue, it just goes in-between the cooler and CPU top to stop the heat and keep the CPU nice and cool so it doesn't overheat and get damaged), and then you tighten the cooler down into the brackets to keep it in contact with the CPU.

that's the best I can explain it , if you go on youtube and look for "Newegg how to build a computer" go on the second video called the build, it will explain a little bit better :)

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome, thanks for the advice..i was actually looking at the overclocking thing earlier with the motherboards...i guess the way it works is if the chip has a k after it it is overclockable...like the 4770k and the z77 motherboards are overclockable whereas the H77 ones are not so youd match the z77 chips with the intel k chips and the h77 ones with the non-overclockable chips as far as i can tell

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah i see i was wondering about that, looked at 2 near identical mobos and was thinking why the cost difference lol, no worries :) thanks for your advice too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube