add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
jnanof

56 months ago

Are there a lot of scammers on this site offering $$ up front for you to build their system only to charge back on PayPal. I have some one that PM me to do such a build. EDIT: to be clear, I was contacted to build a computer for them after they viewed one of recent postings of my latest build. At any rate I am going to decline the job as its just too much risk.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

If you receive messages you believe to be scams or fraudulent in nature, please use the report link to notify staff so we can look into it.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I don't have reason to think its a scam just yet.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that I am aware of.

But IMHO, your best bet is to look on your local craigslist and other local advertisements for someone you can meet in person. Usually the way I do it is I give my customers the choice of either buying the components themselves and having me assemble them, or else giving me the necessary funds up front, and then having me purchase and assemble for them. Whatever makes them feel more comfortable.

Local is also nice because you can avoid shipping, which gets pretty awful for big PCs. I've shipped a few and it's always nerve-wracking for me and my customers.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. He offered to pay through PayPal but there is always the risk that he tells his CC company it was a fraudulent charge and I am out the $$. But if he commits to buying some of the parts and Paypal for the rest, that would be OK insurance. thanks for the reply

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

hey, why don't you talk to me, maybe I can get a better deal for you :D

PM if you're interested in seeing what I can do.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I say work with someone local, and work with someone who can show you their work first hand. If they have 'a business' to build computers they will probably have a clients computer on the bench. Or, at the very very very least they will have half a dozen systems they have built with pictures as proof.

Also at this point ANY idiot can have a website for $8 a month, so if they don't even have a website you have to wonder why. Look for a builder who outlines WHAT they will do for you after the sale in writing. It might be a little it might be a lot, but if they say what they will do at least you know...I'd even trust somone MORE if what they offer is very little...they are at least not sugar coating it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube