add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pre-applied thermal paste on CPU or CPU cooler?

YoZync
  • 58 months ago

I've read that stock coolers come with pre-applied thermal paste, but is thermal paste placed on the CPU itself or on the stock CPU cooler? I'm asking because I've seen youtube tutorials for building PCs where they use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off the top of the CPU in order to install an aftermarket cooler, so I was unsure about this. I'm planning to use the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with the AMD FX 8350 CPU Chipset, by the way.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

The cpu, when bought new has no paste applied to it. It will be pre-applied to the stock cooler. The talk about cleaning the cpu is when you change cpu coolers. You don't need to clean a NEW out of the box cpu before you install a cooler. The hyper 212 comes with some thermal paste, not the best but it works.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

stock coolers have pre-applied thermal paste, not the CPU. You can always clean it and apply the thermal paste on the CPU (usually the size of a grain of rice in the center of the CPu should be enough.. with the 212 evo it doesn't come pre-applied, but it comes with a thermal paste that you will apply.

edit: you only need to clean the CPU if you already had a cooler installed, other than that don't put your fingers on the cpu surface.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks guys. I had just had some doubts and misconceptions that needed to be cleared up before I went on to building my PC. I am a PC building noob after all.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube