add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£300 CPU Upgrade (and motherboard)

MAOwarrior

56 months ago

This is my build - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/MAOwarrior/saved/#view=yf7MnQ I'm looking to buy a CPU upgrade, one with better per core performance (as my current fx-8320 has poor per core performance)/ and a decent enough mother board with room for a second graphics card with the introduction of DX12. The main problem I have in games is CPU bottle necking and I'm planning on getting another mid range AMD card to help bump up the GPU eventually but first comes the CPU. Cheers for any comments. MAO

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

For all intents and purposes, the 8320 is a good processor. In fact, it almost matches an i5 in gaming. Unless your processor is running at 2ghz, an octocore is not bottlenecking a GTX 760. It just isn't. The main problem you are probably having is that graphics card. It wasn't incredibly stellar at launch and isn't being supported well anymore. If you are going to upgrade, that is where you should focus attention first.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

^

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes in programs which support all cores, things like rendering and image processing its great and I've over clocked my processor to 4.1ghz and yeah its a octacore but most games run with 1 or two cores with a few at 4. I've got a friend with a GTX 760 and a top of the range i5 from a few years ago and he gets double my frame rate on cpu intensive games such as mmos, ARMA ect.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you overclocked your cpu?

As above would be my advice. Either a GTX 970 or R9 290X will improve gaming massively and should not be held back by your cpu.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes its over-clocked to 4.1Ghz and I'm hoping to get a R9 280X or similar card. There are some games which I can change the graphical setting from maximum to minimum and get only 3 fps in difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube