add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need an air cooler?

aznate8
  • 60 months ago

I am going to run an APU for my next build so I wasn't sure if I needed extra cooling power. The APU is an AMD A10 7870 running at 3.9 ghz. I don't intend on doing any over clocking and the most load it should get is my sister playing minecraft. From what I understand the stock AMD cooler are very bad so for something on this kind of load will I need an air cooler?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not that the stock AMD coolers are bad, but they don't provide the same cooling as an aftermarket one.
If you're not going to be doing any overclocking, you really shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler, as the stock is made to be "good enough." I have an APU and I was personally not happy with the temps that I was getting, so I ended up getting a cooler after I built (The CM TX3 is great for this because it doesn't need a backplate) - BUT, I also have a terrible case with no airflow, so that was definitely contributing to the problem. If your case has adequate airflow, you should be fine.

Also, I say that AMD stock coolers aren't actually bad because the intel coolers are worse; it's just that AMD tends to be hotter.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

buying a cooler will make a big difference, pretty sure more than ten degrees cooler and no jet inside the case if that matters. :)

another great option is the T4 which also doesn't need backplate

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrt418pkr1

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, obviously it'll make a difference! Hahaha, I was just saying that it's not really needed/required.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

"need", no but as others already pointed out, some value lower noise/temp levels than the stock cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube