add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Phanteks Slim vs Full Size?

sendekyo
  • 57 months ago

I would like to eventually replace my stock CPU cooler in order to improve cooling and reduce noise. I currently have an overclocked Intel Pentium G3258, so it doesn't desperately need it, but I intend to upgrade the CPU in the future. I believe I would like to accomplish this using an air cooler using 140mm fans. Noctua was where I started looking, but my case has a window and unfortunately I think the brown/tan is ugly, even if the performance is great.

Inevitably I found Phanteks, but I'm worried about clearance in their full size design. Most reviews only cover the full size version, so I'm not sure how slim model compares in performance.

Who owns the Phanteks PH-TC14PE? Were there any problems & do you recommend it?

Who owns the Phanteks PH-TC14S? How is the noise & performance?

Are there any other recommendations?

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the TC14PE_BK. Only issue I had (probably more in relation to lack of doing it before) was that it took a good bit of force to get the screws to start. Then again, I might have been doing it a bit... delicately, since it was being put on a 600$ CPU/MB, and not applying the right force at the start.

Since then, it's performed well and have no complaints about it.

No idea why you couldn't find any reviews... Quick search brought up a bunch: https://www.google.com/search?q=PH-TC14S+review&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Any clearance issues with the RAM? Were you forced to make any adjustments to the fans on the cooler to accommodate for space or anything?

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, going in I knew I needed low-profile ram. Heck, I think this whole "spiky ram" trend is positively silly and just a good way to up costs, so I was looking at plain non-heatsink ram anyway... I ended up going with one of Corsair's Low-Profile sets, as it had a minor heatsink that barely went over the ram's actual height and more importantly, had better performance for same/less price.

Only adjustment I had to make to the fans was to reposition the wire for one of them. Didn't realize it going in, but I had the wire setup to go directly over the top of the heatsink and lay on top of it. Figured that wouldn't be good at higher temps, so adjusted it after I got everything else working.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Heck, I think this whole "spiky ram" trend is positively silly...

Agreed. I ended up with the Kingston Savage series. It looks nice without being obnoxious.

Okay, cool. I think the TC14PE is my winner, especially after I learned the TC14S uses a lower quality fan.

Thanks very much for sharing, FH100. You should share your build on PCPP. I'd be interested to see it.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ehh, you can look it up in my saved parts lists; it's the first listed. Not going to bother putting it up since, well, I don't see any use in taking "glamor" pictures of the inside and without them, it's just going to get "y no pic inside? -1" comments.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Apparently the TC14S uses a different fan as compared to what Phanteks includes with the TC14PE, so the full size version is the better quality choice.

TC14PE: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page4.html

TC14S: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1438-page7.html

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube