add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Kraken x41 in a Phantom 410 case - holes don't line up

Kelliente
  • 58 months ago

Anyone have experience using this cooler with this case? This is only my second build and it's my first build using water cooling.

I thought the kraken x41 and phantom 410 were compatible, but I can't figure out how/where to mount the radiator. I found a thread on NZXT's support site that suggests mounting it to the top exhaust with the radiator inside the metal plate of the case and the fan outside. I'm not crazy about that arrangement, but even if I wanted to do it, the pre-drilled holes in the case don't line up with the radiator. I can only get 1 hole to line up at a time. So it would basically be hanging from the fan with 1 screw in the case.

Do I need to drill new holes? Or should I just return the x41 and get a different cooler?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

the kraken X41 is a 140mm rad.

if you look under specs

https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/95-phantom-410-mid-tower-case.html

Radiator Support Top 2 x 120mm

very strange but it seems it isn't supported eventhough it has 140mm fan mounting holes in the top, front and side. You could try mounting it either front or top panel...

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure it won't fit the specs section of that site lists various 140mm mounting locations.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

its rather strange but considering both are the same brand NZXT and not showing as compatible... but if you check another case like the H440, they show up as compatible

Front 2 x 140 or 3 x 120mm,Top 2 x 140 or 3 x 120mm, Rear 1 x 140/120mm

probably the problem with fitting a 140mm radiator on top is the clearance and considering the 140mm rad is thicker... maybe it can be mod to fit..

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/nzxt_phantom_410_review,9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1632311/corsair-h110-fit-nzxt-phantom-410-case.html

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

There's enough room that I could possibly mount the rad on top and have about 1 inch vertical clearance from the motherboard if I drilled mounting holes. The side of the radiator would be flush with the top, metal lip of the case and I think I'd still have enough room to mount the fan inside if I want to.

I was hoping there was a way to mount it without drilling, because this NZXT kb response says it's possible, but I can't see how.

Idk, I'm on the fence about drilling vs returning and buying a different one. Both will be a hassle.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Idk, I'm on the fence about drilling vs returning and buying a different one. Both will be a hassle.

Clearance for top 240mm dual radiator for water cooling solutions

you could return the kraken and get a 240mm rad like the nepton 240m.... that is another option..

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube