add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade to 8GB or 16GB?

Master-Zixx
  • 58 months ago

SOLVED

Here's a bit of a background: My current PC is a hand-me-down Lenovo Thinkstation E20 from my dad. He was nice enough for one christmas to upgrade the old GPU Nvidia Quadro 600 to a GTX 760 (replacing the stock PSU in the process) and I added a basic soundcard to see if it would make a difference, to experiment. Said awesome dad was also nice enough to ugrade the ram to 16GB from 4GB. Which I thought was freaking awesome. However being naive about the world of pc building, I didn't realise that this was 16GB (4x4) of DDR2-667Mhz.

EDIT I have made a huge mistake and it turns out I have DDR3-1333MHz in my computer!! Excuse me!! Anyway the below still sort of stands but I suppose it is much less important/worthwhile to upgrade now...

Obviously, a new motherboard and cpu is in order as well if I wish to upgrade the memory. But what I wish to know is, would 8GB of DDR3-1866 (Kingston Fury Series) be an upgrade over the previous? Or would I have to go for 16GB? And is it even worth upgrading currently other than that "shiny" factor? Everything I've thrown at it with the exception of Corel Painter X3, it runs very happily.

Here's the best approximation I can give you of my current pc if that helps any more: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/d6BbQ7

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Any DDR3 will be an upgrade over DDR2. If you aren't editing video's, photo's or using engineering programs like Autodesk inventor or CAD on a daily basis, you can stick with just 8gb of ram. Just try and get anything higher than DDR3-1600, which the kingston fury series you mentioned is.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the feedback! Why higher than DDR3-1600? From what I can see 1600Mhz seems quite standard? This is more a curiosity point, as I'm quite set on getting the Kingston Fury.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

O sorry I meant ddr3-1600 or higher

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I know this is a "solved" post, but something that was skipped over... Was that your CPU and motherboard likely won't support anything above 1333 anyways.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

No it does not support anything higher than 1333. It could be upgraded to 32GB but I think I'd sooner replace the whole pc now than upgrade the memory any further. And even then, that's in the long run. It's running smoothly and happily. Don't really wish to replace it until it starts struggling.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I correct, while the cpu can have up to 32GB. The Mobo only 16GB, when it comes to memory, my pc has reached its cap.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the latency/CAS of that DDR2 ram? If it's something "very low" (compared to DDR3), like CAS 3, then it's going to be around the same speed as most DDR3. You don't have to upgrade; as you said only Corel Painter is an issue, it really depends on how much of that you do. Just for example, an "old" DDR2 setup can still get respectable performance with modern games: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/88031-multithreaded-game-performance-vs-single-threaded-game-performance-how-low-can-you-go

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Upon looking into the CAS Latency in my machine I realize I seem to have brainfarted significantly. I don't have DDR-2 667Mhz as I for some reason thought... I looked into my computer and typed in the serial code of the 4 sticks of ram into google. Turns out I have 4x4GB DDR3-1333MHz with a CAS Latency of 9.

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

Ehh, it's not the fastest, but that's still acceptable. I don't see any reason for really swapping the components out then; it should perform well for a while longer.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see much reason either.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

...16GB (4x4)...

No idea where you got the impression that using four modules is negative. Nothing wrong with using four modules as opposed to using just two. Realistically, no performance difference between the two configuration.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I hate to sound rude but you misinterpreted my post. Originally, I for some reason thought my pc had 16GB of DDR2 ram and not DDR3. I know that 4x4 is about equal to 2x8. This post is quite irrelevant after my revelation.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

One does tend to get a little bit rude once the problm is solved, isn't it ?? Again I wish there was a SOLVED button on this forum here..

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I've edited the original post to sat SOLVED at the top. Thanks for the advice :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube