add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are Seagate 3TB HDDs OK after all?

linkleo
  • 60 months ago

I currently have a 1TB WD Blue on my rig to store games and programs. Currently I have a little over half of it full and I've had it for less than a year. I do not want to have to keep deleting games to free up room, etc (part of the reason I got rid of my xbox one). I have a 2TB WD Green that was given to me (I'm guessing it was part of a server) but it is painfully slow and I would use it for nothing other than backing up pictures/videos etc.

The best solution I can think of is getting rid of my WD Blue and making room for x2 3TB Seagate HDDs. That should give me ample room to store games for years I would say. The problem? The horror stories you hear about Seagate, particularly from Blackblaze. I also read articles that discredited blackblaze's claims saying things like they were using consumer drives in 24/7 business arrays etc.

What I cannot find, is solid, concrete evidence that the Seagates are indeed of good quality. Also, WD does not have a comparable solution, at least not at $80-$90 per 3TB drive.

Does anyone have experience with Seagate as of late? particularly the 3TB model? Why are their 3TB HDDs priced so low? no other manufacturer comes close.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Does anyone have experience with Seagate as of late?...

Encountered following Seagates, one dead 2.5" SSHD, one mechanical 2.5" and one 3.5". All within the past six months. All from different users.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

are seagate the only drives that have been brought to you?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

For the past year, only Seagate. With that said, not many around my circle use Seagate so... That SSHD was from a brand new Lenovo that was less than four? months old.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah. I ended up buying a Seagate 3TB which sits in my PC now. I'll update this post if I run into any issues with it.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Particularly the Seagate 3TB fail quite much. See https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/seagate and http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/putting-hard-drive-reliability-to-the-test-shows-not-all-disks-are-equal

If you have a problem with your Seagate hard drive, Seagate will send you a defective warranty replacement. At least that was what happened to the plaintiff in the class action lawsuit case above.

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

11 months ago

If you have a problem with your Seagate hard drive, Seagate will send you a defective warranty replacement. At

How do you know that? Just because a ****** employee did it once doesn't mean it always happens.

Also I wouldn't recommend using that Blackblaze stupid since its not exactly a reliable source.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Seagate is fine quality but there is a inherent problem that for whatever reason 3TB drives are known for failing no idea why. 4TB are ok so maybe a 4TB and 2TB as these have lower risk for failing

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

That was the first generation 3tb drives. Many manufacturers had that issue early on but hasn't been a problem for a long time now.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

that's good to hear, I'm feeling better about Seagate

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I've read all around. The problem with the 4TB is that they have a 5900RPM spindle and that will just not do for me. The WD Green I have goes 5600RPM and it is noticeably slow compared to the WD Blue at 7200RPM. The 2TB would be fine but I really wanted 6TB of forget-about-it storage. Ugh!! I'm torn!

• 48 months ago
  • 0 points

The WD Green drives are deliberately low power drives. They spin slower and as a result of power minimization are not very high performance. On the opposite end are the WD Black drives, with the Blues in between. The WD Black hard drive comes in capacities up to 6 TB.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

12 months ago

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no issues with the current 3tb models. I've been running a 3tb Seagate barracuda 24/7 as my main game drive for almost a year and a half. It's a phenomenal drive.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I want two of those on my 540 Air case so bad! There's just so much negativity around the drives that it makes it awful hard to commit. In your case yours were good but apparently it has been a gamble lately. If they made their 4TB with a 7200RPM spindle I would probably go for that.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It's really not a gamble. Those are very good quality drives for non server use. The very first version had reliability issues, but those are a few years old now. That stupid report mentioned is way over hyped and off base. You can trust the 3tb barracuda just as much as a wd blue

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a favorable statement for Seagate, but with everything else I'm reading I believe it and am ready to give them a shot. Do you by any chance have any idea why their drives are so significantly cheaper than other 3TB drives?

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

They are one of the biggest sellers. Simple as that. Those drives have been produced in extreme numbers and are sold everywhere. They are trying to be the first pick at every store.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

fair enough, thanks for the information pal!

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I have heard the horror stories of Seagate drives, especially the 3TB for whatever reason. I guess you get what you pay for. HGST might be the best way to go according to Blackblaze. They still make their own products, but are now owned by WD.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

backblaze is ******* stupid.... His entire "test" was ripped apart by people who actually know ****.

see here

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, they have been confusing people for a while now, as you can see by this threads existence

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I know it's crazy.....

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

But the bottom line is this: trust no single hard drive. Have at minimum File History, Time Machine, or Deja Dup running to make backups. If you really need your data safe, say for professional reasons, use a RAID array. FreeNAS and ZFS are also fantastic.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, no one is arguing against that, however saying Seagate has higher failure rates then any other company because of a debunked "study" is ridiculous.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to check out HGST, thanks for suggestion. Hopefully they're more affordable than the ridiculous 4TB WD Black.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I checking into HGST and they have a motherload of drives. I'm guessing the consumer end drives would be the "Deskstars" (7200rpm) is that right? In that case I again have a question about the pricing points.

I can get x2 3TB HDDs from Seagate for the same x1 3TB Deskstar would cost? WHY?

Don't get me wrong, I love a bargain when I can get one, but it's hard not ask yourself why is this product so far under its competition from a pricing standpoint.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Hgst is owned mostly by wd, and they focus more on oem supplies to the big pc companies. The deskstar is their normal desktop drive series and the ultrastar is also found often as an oem drive in many pre built systems, especially business systems

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Just because the way HDDs are made, 3TB and 1.5TB drives have a higher failure rate compared to 1TB, 2TB and 4TB drives. The failure rate varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and today it's basically negligible but it's there. I'm not sure about the science behind it.

I know Seagate makes the cheapest drives, but if you just read the Amazon reviews you will notice that they have more complaints on slower/failed drives than other manufacturers. Heck, the top-rated review for the Barracuda on Amazon is a warning that Seagate makes two types of Barracudas; a good one and a terrible one.

You can still buy the 3TB Barracudas, but I'd splash out a little more to get something more reliable.

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

I think that'll be it. It's just the idea of paying about $160 for 6TB... like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'll look elsewhere any suggestions? Definitely not WD Black, I just can't justify paying over $200 for 1 4TB drive. call me cheap :/

Seagate has some nasty rap to recover from, it's gonna be tough for them.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely not WD Black, I just can't justify paying over $200 for 1 4TB drive. call me cheap :/

Well, the WD Blue drive is slightly less expensive and also comes in 4TB and 6TB models. 4TB is $149.99 at the WD Store; 6TB is $249.99 at the WD Store. The 5TB model is the largest capacity in your $200 budget ($199.99).

Seagate has some nasty rap to recover from, it's gonna be tough for them.

Totally, totally agree!

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Which would you recommend? Black WD or are those too loud?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

They are a little loud, but the sound level appears to vary between customers.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

How about a larger capacity WD Blue or WD Black? The WD Blue is the everyday consumer HDD while the WD Black is the high-performance, premium HDD. Both of them have a 5 year limited warranty.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

No they don't, only the Black does. The Blue iirc has a 3 or 2 year warranty.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The Blue comes with a 2 year warranty while the Black has a 5 year warranty. Only difference between the Black and Blue (excluding Greens rebranded as Blues) otherwise is that it uses a second processor. It doesn't perform much better.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube