add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MB and CPU suggestion, update to existing GIS and office workstation

hujev
  • 60 months ago

Having trouble sifting through it all. In short I need a new MB, CPU, and GPU for heavy GIS, satellite image processing (files up to 3gb), photoshop, audio line-out, and general work - no games. Budget for MB & CPU ~700 USD.

Caveats: ATX board (for existing Antex 300 case) Need lots of internal SATAs: ~8-10 or so since I have 20+ tb of onboard HDDs... Need lots of USB: 12+ ... I have lots of external backup drives... 4+ USB3; prefer more; 3.1 better yet. Ideally it'd use DDR3 ram since I have some... if need be can go with DDR4. Will use I7 or xenon cpu. Will buy Pny quadro 620 or 1200 card; no need for integrated GPU. Would prefer ability to boot XP (among others) for old programs.

Prefer 97 or 99 chipset.

The long version is here, incl. details on existing setup: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/comments/39mk0e/mb_and_cpu_update_to_existing_home_gis_and_office/

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check out the ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 for your motherboard. ASUS makes great products and their X99 series is among the best. There is also a version without USB 3.1 here that is slightly cheaper. For a CPU, I suggest the Intel Core i7 5820K. It has 6 cores and a decent clock speed for the price. It does use DDR4 RAM, as do all X99 CPUs and motherboards.

If you want to save money and use your DDR3 RAM you can use the Z97 platform. In that case I would recommend the Intel Core i7 5775C. It has just launched and will be available from all major merchants web sites. If you need everything now, I recommend the Intel Core i7 4790K. Both are quad core and have high clock speeds and hyper threading. For the motherboard there are two close options. The first is the ASUS Z97-PRO USB 3.1 which has the latest USB but less ports overall. The ASUS Z97-WS lacks USB 3.1, but has 2 more 3.0 ports. They have the same number of SATA between SATA 3 and SATA Express (running in SATA 3 mode).

If you need more USB or SATA at any time, there are many expansion slots where you can add IO cards. This would give you more USB 3.1 or SATA easily. As for Windows XP, most drivers don't support it anymore. You can run programs in XP compatibility mode or in a virtual machine. Officially, support has ended and I can't help you much with that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube