add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my CPU running too hot?

Master-Zixx
  • 58 months ago

As the topic suggests I'm worried my CPU is running too hot. It's an old-ish Xeon X3440 and one of the few core parts remaining from the Lenovo Thinkstation E20 4222 I was given as a handmedown. The other part in question is the stock cooler (some lenovo one, not a stock intel fan).

I've been worried for a few days that my computer has been running too warm as I can feel it through the case against my leg. This morning I swear I could smell something funny coming from my pc while gaming. I checked Speccy this morning when it was running hot to the touch and it was saying 107 C. I stopped gaming and let it go idle for a a few hours, purely browsing chrome and listening to spotify. I kept a fair eye on Core Temp and Speccy both listing the CPU not dropping below 80 C

So I looked inside to see if all the fans were working, the fan on the heatsink as well as the two 120mm case fans were both running happily. It was mildly dusty and could do with a spring clean and I will be doing that soon.

However throughout using it today I noticed that the cpu never dropped below 78 which I'm not sure if I should find worrying or comforting. So back to my original question, is my CPU running too hot and if so, what could I do beyond a spring clean to reduce temperatures to a more recommended level? I've read about perhaps improving cable management and I've perhaps thought of replacing the thermal paste along with a new cooler, the 212 evo specifically.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE So after cleaning my case from all the dust I could while idle (spotify and chrome) it stayed around 60-70 C and when gaming always just below 80 C.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 2 points

way too hot, maybe you need to reapply a thermal paste, if it doesn't affect then i suggest you look for a new cooler.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

107 c sounds way too hot. i think that the tj max for that cpu is something like 99 c, so you'll definitely want to lower the temps. the 212 evo does support socket 1156 (which is what is inside your pc), but it might conflict with your memory or you case. to combat this, i would recommend looking at a cryorig h7, which won't interfere with your memory and is very unlikely to interfere with your case (you never know though, so you'll want to check its max cpu tower height). before you do that though, try cleaning out all of the dust since that might be the problem.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm quite confident that the 212 evo won't interfere with my memory as well as that I've got the room in my case for it. I also cannot seem to find the cryorig h7 available in my country (the netherlands, sorry there's no dutch forum). But yes, the first logical step is dust cleaning.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

So after dusting it is quite happily staying below 80 C while gaming and 60-70 C with chrome and spotify.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, how's that CPU not a charred briquette yet? Seems to me you need to get a new cooler ASAP and also check to see if the fan is even turning on your current one. It sounds like you've got a CPU fan either not working, or suffering a dust seizure. I recommend dusting your case out at least once a month with a combination of a soft dust brush and canned air. Also, get some Arctic Silver thermal compound. Whether you're overclocking or not, that will seriously bring down the temperature on your CPU.

Once you've done all this and boot up the comp with the new fan, check the temp. If it's still insanely high, it's time for an upgrade my friend.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I will be cleaning it out today and seeing if it is just a dust seizure. If the temperatures drop to a nice level I won't tamper with it. I'd rather avoid applying thermal paste if I can because I've never done it before, I'm not refuting it though if it needs to be done. Concerning the cpu cooler, the fan is spinning as it should. And the dusting I had already considered doing that once every month or two from now on.

Thanks for the feedback!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. I had this issue in a very old AMD Duron build I had. The stock cooler clogged up, but luckily I was able to blow out about 6 years of accumulated dust ( I left it in someone elses care... word of advice, never do that.) Still wound up buying a new cooler anyways.

If the dust gets that bad, it's always a good decision to just buy a new one. Luckily they have decent models out that won't break the bank and make your wallet cry. If you're not overclocked and just want to keep it nice and cool, I suggest an Arctic Cooling Apline 64 GT Rev.2 CPU Cooler. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-acalp64gt Check here for details but it's dirt cheap and well rated.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not overclocking because as far as I know a xeon can't be oc'd and if it can I still won't be. I also cannot seem to get the Alpine 64 GT Rev. 2 in NL. So how does the Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 compare to the CM Hyper 212 EVO? I know it's a bit more money in comparison, but the 212 evo isn't going to make my wallet cry either.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

If your tower has a ton of room, roughly six or so inches clearance from the CPU to the side panel, the CM Hyper 212 EVO should do the trick. You're right about the Xeon's being very unfriendly towards overclocking, so just a good, straight up cooler should be more than enough for your needs.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a fair amount of room in my case, but I'm not too confident if there is 6 inches of free space. So just to confirm, the Alpine 11 GT Rev. 2 is fine?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you absolutely sure you're looking at the Celcius reading, and not Fahrenheit? TJmax for Intel CPUs is 105c last time I checked, so it should've shut down if it truly exceeded that.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I have triple checked the settings and it definitely says Celsius.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Try re-seating the cooler, then. That's all I can think of.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube