add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a CPU cooler?

Kingfirejet
  • 57 months ago

About to buy parts for my new PC and I was wondering whether I need an after market cooler (Specifically the 212 Evo) instead of the stock. All I plan to do is play games and some 3D modeling/artwork. I don't plan on overclocking which is why I went with the 4790 instead of the "k" version.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $103.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $51.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $70.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $325.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply $81.24 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) Purchased For $20.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan Purchased
Monitor AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22.0" Monitor $129.99 @ Micro Center
Keyboard Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard $60.98 @ Newegg
Other Silverstone Tek Sleeved Extension Power Supply Cable $12.99
Other Silverstone Tek Sleeved Extension Power Supply Cable with 1 x 8-Pin to EPS12V 8-Pin Connector $7.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1214.12
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1194.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-17 22:53 EDT-0400

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope. Since you have a locked processor and you aren't planning on overclocking, the stock cooler will be adequate enough to cool your processor. Why else would a chip maker put in a cooling solution if it wasn't even able to cool down the product(At stock).

Also if you're planning on 3d modeling, maybe a r9 290x or 390x would be better due to it's superior computing power, unless you're using CUDA accelerated programs.

One more thing. Don't get a WD BLACK, they are outright terrible in terms of cost/performance. And don't really have that much of a performance difference over the cheaper Blue line

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I was planning on getting it for not only the performance but because it has a 5 year warranty compared to the 2 year warranty of the Blue Caviar. Would there be a difference if I'm using it as a HDD for my steam games?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree the warranty is pretty good on the blacks.

Difference between the SSD vs HDD? Its as noticeable as day and night. If you're talking about Blue VS Black, probably there wouldn't be that much of a difference(in terms of loading) since the drives perform about the same.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get the 4790k - even if you aren't overclocking it still has the higher base clock speed, and if you buy your cpu and mobo from microcenter instead of just the cpu, your costs will be similar anyways (since you can get the combo deal from MC with the cpu and $40 off the MoBo.) But no, you don't need an aftermarket HSF.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Where is the combo deal located? Or i it whenever I buy a MoBo and CPU from Microcenter I get the discount?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The Combo Deals are at Micro Center, and as to the second question, I've heard two different answers - one person on here saying it's all CPUs and MoBos, but when I called and asked, and went in to make my purchase, it was only the selected CPUs noted in the ad (with the preselected MoBos.)

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Besides all the things the others have already addressed, your ram should be getting 2x 4gb sticks to take advantage of the dual channel mode.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes you need a CPU cooler. If you're buying a retail CPU package you'll get the stock CPU cooler included in the package. Thats fine if you don't plan to do any overclocking of the CPU. Overclocking? You'll want an aftermarket CPU cooler in that case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube