add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel or AMD on a budget?

Rafe_
  • 59 months ago

Thinking of building a PC but I have a pretty tight-ish budget. I currently have my eyes set on i3-4160 or the G3258. But I've looked at a couple of AMD processors particularly the A10-5800K which seems to beat the both in higher clock speed, cache, number of cores and overclock capability.

So which is actually better? Or do you have any other recommendations around $100 mark?

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

it depends are you going to upgrade in the next year

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

i3>G3258 for Intel. i3 gives better upgrade path if you buy Z97 mobo but A10 should be better as it has 4 actual cores as opposed to 2 hyper-threaded ones

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

100$ for the CPU or total? (Yea, probably just for CPU but have to make sure...)

There's a lot of discussion on the whole Intel vs AMD, but to me, it's:
Go with AMD unless you plan to upgrade the CPU. If you want to upgrade later on to a stronger CPU, Intel would be best as AMD doesn't have much to offer.
Go with an AMD APU (like that A10 model) if you can't afford a >200$ GPU. While the G3258 is only dual-core, with a good GPU (and games that don't require 4 threads) it performs great.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Just for the CPU. I'd probably update at some point but it will probably be in such a far off date that I'd probably have the funds to bundle a new mobo in.

I'm actually planning to get a GTX 750Ti which, come to think of it, I actually haven't checked compatibility with the AMD CPU yet.

EDIT: Yep, just made another parts list with the AMD parts in mind and it seems just fine.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

The comparison is probably to an 860k at that budget once you count in the need for a CPU cooler. Decent Fm2+ boards are pretty inexpensive though, something to consider. Something also worth noting - the FM2+ (well, AMD in generally) chips don't have as strong individual core performance compared to Intel, so while they have that clock speed advantage, they're not actually as strong, so the overclocking is what levels the playing field a little.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $69.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $27.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $54.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $152.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 11:59 EDT-0400

vs.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $108.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $76.98 @ Newegg
Total $185.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 12:00 EDT-0400

vs.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $64.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $27.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $181.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 12:02 EDT-0400
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure someone will point out that you can overclock a G3258 on an H81, but I always thought it was funny how those are also the same people that say the VRM heatsinks (or lack thereof) and powerphases aren't good enough for locked i5s and i7s. Good reasonably priced MoBo options with reasonable features on all three partslists, so there it is.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah you can overclock a G3258 but the point about the number of cores still stands and the A10 has a higher base clock speed.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Comparing base clock speeds is a pointless gesture between AMD and Intel chips because the strength of the individual cores are so much different.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly why I posted this thread, trying to figure that stuff out without personal experience is quite a bit challenging.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube