add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm building a pc and am a bit stuck

Gaming2
  • 59 months ago

I don't plan on upgrading for at least a year and I don't know whether I should get a evga gtx 980 classified or if I should get two Palit Jetstream 970's. space isn't a problem neither is noise.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally, I'd go for a single 980. I had 2 970s for a while and there was no SLI benefit in half the games I play due to bad scaling (admitted, I play a lot of obscure games, but still...). On top of that, you have the possibility to upgrade to SLI 980 after a couple of years, which is an option you won't have if you pick up 2 970s right now.

Just my 2 cents really...

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you. I think i've now made my decision.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 2 970's and they kick ***... Idk what happened with yours...

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Returned them during the whole VRAM thingie. They were doing their job very well at 1080p, but I didn't want to risk to run into problems since I had planned to upgrade to a higher resolution in the foreseeable future.

As for SLI, like I said: there are games the benefit is negligible. For instance, I play a lot of KSP (and there were other games as well), and in that case, there is no scaling whatsoever. In those cases, the second GPU is just sitting there doing nothing.

970 still provide a very good bang for buck, but if the choice is 2 970s or 1 980 right of the bat, I'll always suggest the single GPU solution (taking upgradability into account as well).

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if the multi-GPU setup is twice as powerful as the single?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if the multi-GPU setup is twice as powerful as the single?

Interesting statement, but it just doesn't work that way. There are a lot of games out there that don't scale very well, which results in a performance benefit which will be less than twice the performance of one card. Heck, like I said, I have a number of games that just don't scale at all on SLI and refuse to run on two cards, make the performance benefit zero. It all depends on whether there is a SLI profile present for the game in question. If there is not, an SLI setup can bring quite some faffing about along with it.

The question here is specifically aimed at SLI 970 or a single 980. Sure, pure from performance SLI 970 is better than a single 980. But either solution is more than enough to max out pretty much anything at 1080p, so no real difference there. So getting a single GPU now that can max out anything still leaves room for an upgrade that will blow the SLI setup with a weaker GPU out of the water when you need it and prices have dropped down.

Again, I'm not saying a SLI 970 setup is bad by any means, it just eliminates some options immediately. Imho, it is better to have a good rig with enough room for later upgrades than filling up your PCIe slots (essentially spending the same amount of money) directly and having to remove all your GPUs to upgrade and thus spending more money later on.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah maybe for 1080p but I play at 4k and at 5760x1080p and the 970's destroy a 980 in AAA titles. That's no opinion, that's fact.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Within a year newer cards will come out and the current ones will likely be more in your price range I would wait until fully deciding until you are ready to build/purchase.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

go with the 980. The way things are going now with Gpu's most people will upgrade every year just to keep up with the new games.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a r9 290 instead. Amd cards are bang for the buck compared to nvida cards

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

It's 2 Good 4 You

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube